Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Help, Huntinfool

RockyDog

Can someone tell me which wyoming elk units Huntinfool is pimping the most this year,

id like to avoid applying for those areas.

thanks. a cutnpast would be nice.

Same as last year. They pimped the units with the most applicants, and worst draw odds, again. And they only had pics of 2 guys sitting astride their trophy animals this month! And only one story with the amazingly accurate 6th shot that Got R Done for the SMACKDOWN! Hard to read that mag with a straight face, sometimes.

Come on guys, quit being so suspicious. Many of the units they recommend usually have lots of private land, or if there is public land it is hard to access and in many instances the public land in these units is only accessible via trespass fees.

Just because they have booking relationships with all the big outfitters in the units on the list doesn't mean those will be the units that make their list. ;)

Wait, I just checked - those are the units on the list. :eek:

Really, if you have looked at the list in the last few years, not much has changed. Not sure why people would apply for the units recommended, and subject themselves to the crazy skewed draw odds, when there are so many other good units.

Maybe they want to go with one of the outfitters and hunt once every 15 years. If so, knock yourself out. You will probably have a great hunt. I would rather hunt 5 times during that 15 years and have 5 times as much fun.

Another way to see what is on their list is to look at the draw odds at this link and pay attention to the ones with the worst odds. Wyoming drawing odds.

If it is on their list, you are only going to draw that tag with max points. Even in the Special draw, you will need max points, though you might have a slightly better chance.

Probably as many good bulls shot on general units in WY as in these glory units.

Also fair to mention that in most of the units they recommend you'll be hunting on memories of the glory years in most of their top picks.

Honest to god, I wouldnt trade my general tag for a unit 7 tag...

yeah i noticed there are 1276 resident tags for 7, but somehow it is touted as a top draw. must be the private ranches like wagonhound.

Buzz, if i were to draw a unit like one of the above would you ever be willing to talk about a trade for you coming along as a resident in wilderness?

What Buzz really means is, if he was a NR he would most certainly apply for area 7 as it keeps the draw odds better for other Wyoming limted areas.

This is the results of a 5 day of hunting trip in 09 in one of there highly regarded units,on public land,unguided 5 tags 5 bulls and well over 1500 inches of horn.

Attachments

• wyoming09 092.jpg
    wyoming09 092.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 385
Very cool Esau. Did I read your story in the mag? Congrats to you guys. Got any field photos or stories to post of that hunt?

This is the results of a 5 day of hunting trip in 09 in one of there highly regarded units,on public land,unguided 5 tags 5 bulls and well over 1500 inches of horn.

I bet that was a fun ride home!!

Yes one of my brother wrote a story on the hunt I will put up some pictures sometime ,I hunted General montana this year for 3 weeks and you guys there have some areas where there are some good bulls (at least compared to Oregons General areas) but having hunted a few fairly hard to get areas in the west my opinion is that the better units do have higher number of mature bulls thus making it easier to kill one.

I wish I could hold out for a le unit.I just have to hunt them every year;no patience in the point game.I belong to hunting fool,not sure why for the above reason.I will say I get as much and better imfo from here and a couple other bowhunting sites.Truthfully, not much changes from year to year in their recommendations.Probably hold onto the $100 next year.Same goes with Eastmans.It almost reads like a reprint from last year
I only bowhunt elk, so I feel I can get a good crack at a good bull in the general Wy. units with some hard work.As I get older and need to hunt easier terrain the points game may be worth it to me.I have been banking points in Co. just to see for myself if its really worth it or if they aren't much better then the otc units.I'm not talking about the premium units that take a lifetime to draw.Just ones that take a few years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back