Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hello from the Beach

We moved from Alaska to outside Corvallis when I was a kid. Spent a lot of time in the Alsea unit hunting and fishing. You’re in good country. I couldnt wait to move to the dry side and actually spend more time hunting in Hunting Wife’s back yard then I do your‘s, 300 miles vs 1,000 miles. That being said I would focus on Starker and Thompson Timber ground. I don’t know the current crop of Starkers but I do know Eric Thompson, his ground is well managed and should still be producing nice bucks.

Welcome from Pie Town,NM.
I used to head up the coast to fish,hunt & surf. Knew some folks in Newport. Even unloaded a few boats in Astoria.

We moved from Alaska to outside Corvallis when I was a kid. Spent a lot of time in the Alsea unit hunting and fishing. You’re in good country. I couldnt wait to move to the dry side and actually spend more time hunting in Hunting Wife’s back yard then I do your‘s, 300 miles vs 1,000 miles. That being said I would focus on Starker and Thompson Timber ground. I don’t know the current crop of Starkers but I do know Eric Thompson, his ground is well managed and should still be producing nice bucks.
Definitely some great advice. We're looking into moving, as well, as the situation here is pretty crappy (politics, hunter overpopulation in the unit, cost of living, etc) but this habitat has given me a damn good foundation. Absolutely love the starker selection over here, especially towards the Corvallis area (Blodgett, summit, etc). Don't know about Thompson, I haven't even seen that on my maps, I'll have to look into it! The Wayerhauser buyout has put quite a few restrictions on the area recently, so I'm looking into new areas anyway.

Definitely some great advice. We're looking into moving, as well, as the situation here is pretty crappy (politics, hunter overpopulation in the unit, cost of living, etc) but this habitat has given me a damn good foundation. Absolutely love the starker selection over here, especially towards the Corvallis area (Blodgett, summit, etc). Don't know about Thompson, I haven't even seen that on my maps, I'll have to look into it! The Wayerhauser buyout has put quite a few restrictions on the area recently, so I'm looking into new areas anyway.
Most of Thompson ground is south west out of Blodgett, I killed some nice bucks in there when I was logging my way through college. Their office is between Corvallis and Philomath on Hwy 20

Most of Thompson ground is south west out of Blodgett, I killed some nice bucks in there when I was logging my way through college. Their office is between Corvallis and Philomath on Hwy 20
I'm kind of ashamed of myself; my dad was a logger (now retired) for about 35 years in this area, so I've been all over the Alsea unit. Not knowing about Thompson is like a swift kick in the a$$. Lmao

Is it near the starker office?
I always get a starker permit, every year. Just gotta choose my units wisely. I thought that's what most of the land in that area was, but apparently I haven't scouted enough area over there. Done a ton of burnt woods area, but just like thousand line, it's now overrun with mostly road hunters, poachers and people I'd rather not call "hunters" for lack of morals and ethics. Shame, cus it's an absolutely beautiful area!

Welcome from NM! I used to inhabit Coos Bay/North Bend during my BLM (Bureau of Land Management) days. Archery hunting for blacktail and elk in coastal rain forest was pretty cool.

I was in southern OR for Thanksgiving and I’d say that if you can hunt there you could hunt anywhere. I was with a local and he would point out areas with good elk or great deer hinting and I would just shake my head - I wouldn’t even know where to begin clawing my way through the salal and fir regen. It was 50 degrees and misty and I was colder than if it had been a windy 10 degree day at home. Welcome, and I’d bet you won’t have any trouble at all if you can get someplace that a hunter could see more than ten feet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back