Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hello from Indiana

AKByrde

Hi Everyone, I am glad I found this forum. I grew up hunting deer and elk in Colorado with my folks, but haven't gone big game hunting in quite a few years. I live in Indiana now, and have done some wing shooting, but am working on figuring out the tree stand style of deer hunting done here. I have always been grateful that both my parents took me, their daughter, hunting; I didn't know any other women who hunted except my mom. I am sure that I will be able to get plenty of advice here about hunting strategies for white tails in the Midwest!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Fun to find fellow Indiana residents here. I am trying to decide if I am headed to the woods for muzzle loader season (opens Saturday).

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Fun to find fellow Indiana residents here. I am trying to decide if I am headed to the woods for muzzle loader season (opens Saturday).
Some of the biggest bucks I see are during muzzleloader and late archery. The deer are extremely spooky after being chased for 2 months and you don't see as many.

Welcome from a Hoosier in CO!! You will love being in the hardwoods during the fall and winter. It is magic. :)
Yes, I agree it is beautiful in the forest here and Indiana actually has 4 distinct seasons. Quite the novelty! I have lived here for a number of years, but haven't been deer hunting (yet). Looking to change that.

Last edited:
Some of the biggest bucks I see are during muzzleloader and late archery. The deer are extremely spooky after being chased for 2 months and you don't see as many.
Redman, I hear you. I see a lot of deer (even during regular firearms season). I would characterize the places I have scouted as being "low pressure." I just am perplexed by the whole tree stand strategy. I grew up with walk and stalk.

Plan on taking the muzzle loader to the range this week.

Last edited:
Redman, I hear you. I see a lot of deer (even during regular firearms season). I would characterize the places I have scouted as being "low pressure." I just am perplexed by the whole tree stand strategy. I grew up with walk and stalk.

Plan on taking the muzzle loader to the range this week.
During firearms season I seldom hunt from a stand and this year not once. I prefer to be able to move if need be to get a better shot or look at an animal. Wet or windy days I still hunt them. I have done it with bow but thick cover makes it tough and I don't want to spoke them off the property. So bow hunting is usually tree stand and sometimes ground blinds. Just remember to always wear your safety harness while tree stand hunting!

During firearms season I seldom hunt from a stand and this year not once. I prefer to be able to move if need be to get a better shot or look at an animal. Wet or windy days I still hunt them. I have done it with bow but thick cover makes it tough and I don't want to spoke them off the property. So bow hunting is usually tree stand and sometimes ground blinds. Just remember to always wear your safety harness while tree stand hunting!
Thanks for the reminder on the safety harness with tree stands. I am not planning on using a stand if I decide to go out. All the leaves are down. And I expect the woods to be relatively empty in December.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back