Hello Colorado in 2019!

Lol!

Also, I hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to get anyone to lead me to a specific tree or ridge. I'm just hoping to limit wasted time during the research procese. I also figure that I can't get an answer to a question I don't ask.

Compared to some I think your post was pretty general about how to understanding the system. Honestly, though you will hear how x unit is the best or worst ever and generally it's based on one guys experience one year and you have no idea how good or bad a hunter they are. In terms of crowds someone will post a pic of a good animal or an article will get written and people will flock to a unit and then the next year complain about how crowded.

I would use Colorado's drawing odds to figure out where you can draw, think about your hunting style (backpacking, car hunting, hotel, still hunting, spot and stalk etc. and figure out which units lend themselves to that style. The CO hunt atlas has population summer and winter ranges that give you a decent idea of where elk will be during the year. If you like to glass, then you aren't going to like hunting unit 371 during the rifle seasons because the elk will be in the dog hair timber and you won't see anything... but it would be a great unit for a still hunter who wants to do a slow sneak. Colorado has tons of good units, just be honest about your limitations and try to make those to a unit, also accept that the bigger the suck factor the better your odds of getting a bull.

Suck factor can include but is not limited to, oak brush, deep canyons, stupid long hikes, super huge mountains...

Suck factor can include but is not limited to, oak brush, deep canyons, stupid long hikes, super huge mountains...

Thank you for all of this! From everything so far it seems like I should consider the following.

Focus on units that we can draw with decent access that fit our hunting style.
Try for a cow or either sex tag to open up options.
Don't get hung up on archery or harvest statistics.
Think about mule deer next time lol.

Thank you for all of this! From everything so far it seems like I should consider the following.

Focus on units that we can draw with decent access that fit our hunting style.
Try for a cow or either sex tag to open up options.
Don't get hung up on archery or harvest statistics.
Think about mule deer next time lol.

+ buy a deer point this year, muzzleloader is also an amazing season if you have one, but I would focus on first rifle.

I'm taking a stab at that BLM for a late cow tag in 13 this month. Going out for the first time this weekend. We'll see. I've trotted around there before and know what I'm getting into; I have some hopes for the nature of those being some proximal flattops wintering grounds.

Other than a late season tag, I agree, I would never hunt there. Maybe this month will turn me into a full blown "never hunt there" guy.
How did your hunt go? My wife has limited mobility but really wanted to hunt elk this year. We got her a spike only tag for Utah, but I would love to back it up with a chance at an actual Bull, any branch antler would be great. I was thinking of season 4 rifle on Unit 13. Can’t hike much, but it looks like you wouldn’t need to on that unit. Thanks

How did your hunt go? My wife has limited mobility but really wanted to hunt elk this year. We got her a spike only tag for Utah, but I would love to back it up with a chance at an actual Bull, any branch antler would be great. I was thinking of season 4 rifle on Unit 13. Can’t hike much, but it looks like you wouldn’t need to on that unit. Thanks

well, for the most part, you do need to do a fair amount of hiking in that unit. there are only a handful of road access points to limited public land and the elk for the most part don't hang out near those road access points. doesn't mean i haven't seen them from the road though.

freankly, a trespass fee or a guided hunt in 13 could easily produce an elk shot from a two track with a quad. but the public land hunting in there is overall pretty steep and requires some movement

well, for the most part, you do need to do a fair amount of hiking in that unit. there are only a handful of road access points to limited public land and the elk for the most part don't hang out near those road access points. doesn't mean i haven't seen them from the road though.

freankly, a trespass fee or a guided hunt in 13 could easily produce an elk shot from a two track with a quad. but the public land hunting in there is overall pretty steep and requires some movement
Thanks for the reply. We just rented a cabin for the week and will explore units 12 and 13 and see what happens. I am am not opposed to hiking, I have a region H tag in Wyoming I am scouting for now, a Utah North Slope Deer tag and Elk tag, all of which I will hike a lot. She just can’t do it. She has to have a heart monitor on the whole time. I sometimes will hike my stuff up and come back and put her on my back. Did that a few years ago when she shot her first Elk. A spike. Fortunately she doesn’t weigh a lot more than my backcountry setup. So if I can find them, I may be able to get her to them too. The more I look at it, the more I think we will be in Unit 12. But thanks again for the info.

Back