Caribou Gear Tarp

Heinz Kerry could be engine of change in Idaho

Ithaca 37

"She sees tourism as key to Idaho's future. "You can look at extracting natural resources, but you can also look at what the Swiss have done with their natural beauty. Think of the great wealth of beauty in Idaho. It is a mine not for extraction, but for invitation.""

http://www.idahostatesman.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040725/NEWS010702/407250333/1002/NEWS01

Teresa Heinz Kerry could change the balance of Idaho politics.

Should she become first lady, the depth of her commitment to Idaho would accelerate modest Democratic gains. Heinz Kerry is boisterously engaged, close to House Minority Leader Wendy Jaquet, and would have real power to help.

Last weekend, she headlined a fund-raiser that raised a record-breaking $300,000. Before the event in Ketchum, I interviewed Heinz Kerry. She is a credible advocate who would bring Democrats real money and access to the immense power of the White House.

Heinz Kerry is no clueless two-weeks-a-year Ketchumite. She understands Idaho issues, and has close friends and a lifetime of warm memories here. She's even named her jet "Flying Squirrel," after the Sun Valley ski run.

Four of the women who accompany Heinz Kerry on the campaign as personal anchors have Sun Valley-area homes: Time magazine photographer Diana Walker; film producer Allyn Stewart; hotel owner and decorator Peggy Grossman, who led the massive renovation of the Arizona Biltmore in the 1990s; and Melinda Blinken, the daughter of famed producer-director Howard Koch, wife of 2002 U.S. Senate candidate Alan Blinken and herself a growing force in Idaho politics.

The Blinkens hosted the fund-raising lunch, which drew 400 people — four times what they expected — on just 10 days' notice.

"This is bigger than Idaho Democrats," Alan Blinken said. "Sen. Kerry and his wife love this state, and they're going to pay attention to it. Part of their heart is here."

Heinz Kerry has a record of giving in Idaho, politically and philanthropically. She has visited since 1966. In 1988, she built a house with her first husband, GOP U.S. Sen. John Heinz, who died in 1991. The Blinkens are neighbors. She talks of the small Christmas brunches with Swedish pancakes, and the big New Year's Eve parties with 10 o'clock toasts for the three kids so they could ski first thing in the morning.

"We started the New Year's parties to keep the kids from getting into trouble," she said. "We told them, 'You're not bums, you're not hobos. You don't take a bottle on the street.' We let them get tipsy here. And they're still coming back. It's all about family."

But she's uncomfortable with talk of a Western White House here, saying she loves her farm near Pittsburgh and Kerry likes the Nantucket house and the ocean. My guess is Idaho would be her deep retreat, as it was in June when she snuck into Ketchum and treated her Secret Service agents to a meeting with a moose at the Blinken home.

"This is a place that I regain my bearings," Heinz Kerry said. "It's peaceful. It's comforting. It's honest. I love the mountains, summer and winter. It's the treat I give myself. I would never want to give that up."

But it's more than that. She's concerned about Idaho and has given more than $1 million to local efforts to improve emergency medical services, save the Galena Lodge and register voters.

A Kerry administration would assess the safety and future of the INEEL, support alternative energy, boost small-scale and organic farming, and reform forest and mining policy, she said.

She's heard the arguments on breaching the four Lower Snake River dams. "I know enough that the dams have caused a lot of harm. I also know the salmon are coming back. I need to know more."

She's familiar with the fight to protect the Owyhees and Boulder-White Clouds, but isn't ready to urge creating any national monuments by executive order.

"I don't know that I would tell John to create a monument," Heinz Kerry said. "But I would say we should respect and protect the integrity of the land."

She sees tourism as key to Idaho's future. "You can look at extracting natural resources, but you can also look at what the Swiss have done with their natural beauty. Think of the great wealth of beauty in Idaho. It is a mine not for extraction, but for invitation."

Heinz Kerry is no ally of traditional industry, but she is a moderate who speaks of balance. Remember, she was a Republican until last year, and was hotly recruited by the Pennsylvania GOP to succeed her late husband.

"She boils it down to people," said Jaquet, the Democratic leader from Ketchum. "She wants science to drive decision-making."

Jaquet has a real in with Heinz Kerry.

"I trust Wendy's judgment," said Heinz Kerry, who has relied on Jaquet's advice on political giving since 1998. "I would probably do some dinners for them, some fund-raisers."

Heinz Kerry is optimistic about helping make Idaho Democrats relevant. "When people say, 'No way,' I say, 'Excuse me. There used to be someone called Frank Church. There used to be Cecil Andrus. There used to be Richard Stallings.'

"We now have a mayor in Boise. We have increased our numbers in the Legislature and found moderate Republicans we didn't even know existed. Little by little, we're making progress."

Jaquet said she hadn't given the prospect of being a power broker much thought — until the fund-raiser. "I hadn't really looked at it, but it's huge," Jaquet said. "The energy of the luncheon made me begin to realize that."

Jaquet would instantly become very powerful should Kerry win, with access to the White House and its influence over federal jobs, spending and policy.

Lobbyists who have treated Jaquet with all the respect due a leader of a tiny minority party would suddenly need her. That prospect has enormous implications for Idaho Democrats.

Ithaca,
I believe in tourism also but do you really believe that someone who views Idaho through the prism of Sun Valley understands how the average Idahoean lives?

Heinz Kerry is no clueless two-weeks-a-year Ketchumite. She understands Idaho issues, and has close friends and a lifetime of warm memories here. She's even named her jet "Flying Squirrel," after the Sun Valley ski run.
That is sort of like saying Ted Turner knows what it is like to tough out a down cycle in the cattle market because he owns a ranch in Montana.

Nemont

[ 07-25-2004, 13:16: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Nemont,

Ted doesnt know anything about the cattle market, he doesnt own a single one.

He does, however, understand a tough down cycle in the bison market...

Nemont, I believe she would try harder to understand the Idaho issues than Bush ever could. I doubt he's spent two seconds reflecting on Idaho.

I've said all along that Idaho's future is as a recreational state. Here's a post I made just yesterday in the "Value of Fishing" topic:

"What a lot of people aren't smart enough to figure out is that Idaho's best future is as a recreational state. In the long run there's a lot more secure economic base in that than mining, logging and welfare ranching."

Kinduv a coincidence, huh?

Problem with that perspective Mr. Nemont is that converting the economic base from a production industry to a service industry results in the need to depend on outside resources for the lost products. That's where job exportation and inflation come from. Then the fault/blame ends up with the president. :rolleyes:

Buzz,
I understand that Ted doesn't own cows. I was being sarcastic. Ya think Ted ever sweated about what his bison would be worth in the fall or that if the banker didn't agree to one more note then the Fly D would have to be sold?

Do you think the people who own private jets named after a ski resort care whether the peon serving drinkw makes a liveable wage or just that the service could be better?

Nemont

Uhhh...Nemont,
It is not the whole ski resort, Flying Squirrel is just a run on the mountain.

Dubya definitely cares less about Idaho than the Heinz/Kerry group. Dubya sends his Secretary here to announce building roads all over the state. Whereas Kerry & Co. own land, pay taxes, and spend time on our rivers, our mountains, and raising a ton of money for pet projects in the Wood River Valley.

Are they elitists? Do they tackle issues in other parts of the state? Nahhhh.... But if they can care about the Blaine County and Camas County area, then we all, as Americans, are far better off.

You live in Montana... It don't help you.... I just worry about Idaho....

Actually, you kind of bring up the problem. Idaho, MT, and other GOP states are so firmly in Dubya's corner, that they almost take us for granted, and don't try to help us.

The opposite was with Clinton, where we were so against him, he just conceded, and never worried about visiting.

A smart state is a 50/50 state, where the Politicians fight for the votes, and deliver the Pork back to the states.

Dubya couldn't lose Idaho if he tried, (and likely MT), so we get squat. Kerry would at least have the Sun Valley tie, and could possibly consider some sort of JFKerry Wilderness....

Nemont,

As Americans, our first priority should be protecting and taking care of the places in Idaho that I hold dearly. Anything else on a Presidential agenda is inconsequential.

As Americans, our first priority should be protecting and taking care of the places in Idaho that I hold dearly. Anything else on a Presidential agenda is inconsequential
EG,
Then I don't want to read one more word from you regarding welfare ranching, fatassed ATV's or anything affecting public land in any other state. If you only care about Idaho then stick to that state's issues and leave ALL the rest alone.

I am glad you took yourself out of the debate of public lands policy in any other state.

Nemont

P.S. Now could you get Paws to quit posting on that never ending thread. With you ending debate on all land management issues outside of Idaho you sure are cleaning up the board.

Nemont,

Do I actually ever comment on things I don't know about??? Or care about??

I think I only comment on things I care about, and Welfare Ranching is an impact to me, as the FS and BLM allow it in Idaho, and MY earned-in-Idaho Tax dollars are sent to Washington DC to pay for the programs in other states. If I didn't have to pay taxes to DC, I could spend more money stimulating economies of Rural Idaho.

And I think I got Paws to quit posting on that never-ending thread, we irritated Del enough that he locked it.... :D

My guess is SI will take awhile to clean back up, once the stench is gone... :rolleyes:

EG,

You said you only care about Idaho and the places you hold dear.
As Americans, our first priority should be protecting and taking care of the places in Idaho that I hold dearly. Anything else on a Presidential agenda is inconsequential
I never said you posted on things you don't know or care about. You say you only care about Idaho and I said GREAT that means you don't have to worry about all the other states.

Or did you mean you only care about your own personal hunting, recreating and comfort there in Idaho?

I don't understand.

Nemont

Well you did help get the never ending thread ended so I will declare "pax" with you. Whatever that means.

Nemont

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back