Heavy 5 or Raghorn 6

Moosie

Grand poopa
If you had a Choice to shoot a Heavy 5 point or a Raghorn 6 points, would you smoke the Biger one or take the Raghorn 6 ?

I'd take the heavy five over the thin six, but then again, I'm not to picky to let either go... :)

Danr,
What Moosie is saying the the 6 point ain't a 6x6,he's probaly something like a 6x4 or 6x5.
For me it would depend on wich one was closer,if both in range I would take the heavy 5x5,for he is probaly a more mature bull.Let the raggie go another year.
Now if the raggie is something like a 6x7 or 6x8 I would shoot the raggie.
BBJ

DanR... It looks like a 5 point raghorn...... except it has a 6th point :)

Looking back through some Elk I've killed several 5x6 raghorns. I guess to me a Raghorn is a bull with very weak points. I have a few 5 and 5x6's that the points just aren't mature yet. 1-3" Sprawls and Such, no mass (Twiggy). The bulls in Idaho aren't all the Mature 6 points you guys have down there bud ;)

This is a 6x5 Nub that is Skinny and Weak.

elk619632.jpg

Here is a 5 point with more mass :

Wylee_elk.jpg

Let's re~ask the question and ask is it's a Heavy 4 point. This scenario falls under if 2 are side by side. I know some would pass unless it was a Heavy 6 Cough*Greenhorn*Cough*Deerking*Cough*Moosie*Cough* ... Uhhhh Leave that last name out ;)

Heavy 5 all the way. Last year, I passed on a 5X6 (and came home empty) that would not have made the book for whitetail deer. 30" main beams and 6" points.

I haven't killed an Elk yet but will be looking for the oppurtunity. Apparently there is a good heard on POW i can hit up. but when it comes down to it my first ELK will be a either or.

Here's a pic of my favorite 5 point bull. He was young.. about 4 years old and only weighed about 750, but he was tasty... Scores 317 5/8 B&C

Attachments

• Jethro2a.jpg
    Jethro2a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 204
I've seen a few rag 6x6's. Few years ago I saw a guy packing one out. It was the smallest 6x6 I've ever seen. The main beam was probably 25-30inches long. All the points were very short and it was no more than 20 inches wide.. Very odd looking.

I"ll take the heavy 4 point over the 5X6 that you posted Moosie. IN Washington I've found a few four point sheds from Roosevelts that would kick major but over a raggy 6!!

Danr55....he ONLY weighed 750??? That is a sweet rack by the way.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back