MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Heating a tent

duckhunt

Thinking about buying a tent for hunting. Dont really want a big wall tent with a wood stove so thinking smaller. What do you guys use to heat your tents?

I've used the Mr. Heater heater buddy in the past during late archery season hunts. Run in mainly in the morning to take the chill off before crawling out of bed. This was in a big 6/8 man tent so I was able to position it where I wouldn't knock it over or clip it with my sleeping bag. They turn off when the tip, but they get hot and would most likely melt a hole in your tent or sleeping bag.

I have a mr buddy heater for my ice hut but was concerned about carbon monoxide while sleeping in a tent.

I have used one in a tent, but i always shut it off before going to sleep. Even if it wasn't for the carbon monoxide issue, I would still shut it off just to control moisture. Catalytic or not C3H8+02 = H20 + CO2(best case) and if its cold enough to need a heater, its cold enough to cause condensation issues.

Once I had kids I started throwing one of these in whenever I am heating an enclosed space with combustion.

I use a CO detector with my Buddy heater, and also leave the door unzipped a tad at the top for extra ventilation. I typically use it just a bit in the evening and morning as well, but have run it all night before on extra cold nights.

My opinion is that if you are using a stove in a tent (other than a wall tent) you should be using the stove to knock the chill off in the morning or evening and dry clothes out and stuff like that but you shouldn't really be trying to "heat" a tent.

Get an appropriately rated sleeping bag and cover up at night.

I have a seek outside 6 man tipi and a titanium lightweight stove and the combination works pretty well, but you are going to have to add wood to the fire every 2 hours if you are trying to keep it going overnight.

My 2 cents. Nathan

I use one of these.

I just use a 4" K Mart special propane heater for mornings.
Set it in a corner and let it run for 15min. before getting
out of sleeping bag.Good to go.I believe it's a Coleman. 😎

I run a single burner tank top propane heater in my 10x10 Kodiak canvas tent, only when awake. It warms the tent in <5 min, usually much less. In Sept in CO a 2 mantle lantern is usually sufficient to heat it.

A propane or Coleman fuel lantern does a pretty good job of taking the chill off in a tent.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back