Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Heated hunting clothing

Kybowhunter64

Has any of you fellas ever tried any of the heated hunting clothing like heated base layers or heated pants, jackets; or vests? Even the heated socks and gloves. Ive been looking ag some of it online an wondered how good it really is. I started lookin at it when i was looking at the Thermacell heated insoles. Any feedback would be appreciated

I got a camo heated vest from Cabelas (it was cabelas branded) as a Christmas present several years back. Most of my hunting is in the east out of a tree stand and that vest is a lifesaver on cold mornings. It still holds a charge and is working great years later. My only concern is I havent seen them since so if I ever need a replacement battery not sure I'll be able to find one. Otherwise they are great to fire up on those cold brisk mornings. Mine has three temperature settings and works better than I could have ever expected.

I've looked at the insoles but they never seem to have good reviews and I dont particularly think they are worth it when the disposable hot hands/hot toes are so cheap and proven.

I've used heated insoles in my ski boots and wasn't impressed with the performance, definitely better than nothing and in a ski boot you can't use hot toes so it's the only option... but after they wore out I never replaced them.

As far as clothing goes I think you are better off buying good quality gear than heated clothing. From what I have seen online/ in adds (with a few exceptions) they typically put heaters in clothing with crap fabrics. Instead of buying a $200 soft shell that is basically Walmart quality with heaters you are better off getting a sitka softshell for the same price that will keep you just as warm because it's well made.

I think the way to go is to layer with quality clothing; for most of my insulating layers I go with mountaineering companies (Patagonia, North Face, Rab, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, etc.) and then throw a camo layer on top. Living out west I don't spend much time in a tree stand, but do quite a bit of duck hunting at -10 to -30 and never had a problem staying comfortable.

Last edited:
The thermacell heated insoles rarely get good reviews from what I have seen. As for heated clothing, I do not have any but a lot of people in New England are raving about a vest made by Milwaukee and sold at home depot??

I've used heated insoles in my ski boots and wasn't impressed with the performance, definitely better than nothing and in a ski boot you can't use hot toes so it's the only option... but after they wore out I never replaced them.

As far as clothing goes I think you are better off buying good quality gear than heated clothing. From what I have seen online/ in adds (with a few exceptions) they typically put heaters in clothing with crap fabrics. Instead of buying a $200 soft shell that is basically Walmart quality with heaters you are better off getting a sitka softshell for the same price that will keep you just as warm because it's well made.

I think the way to go is to layer with quality clothing, for most of my insulation layers I got with mountaineering companies (Patagonia, North Face, Rab, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, etc.) and then through a camo layer on top. Living out west I don't spend much time in a tree stand, but do quite a bit of duck hunting at -10 to -30 and never had a problem staying comfortable.

this is a solid recommendation. If you're sitting still, I'd take a look at Sitka's new Wind Stopper Kelvin Puffy. Yes it's expensive but also doesn't require electronics that have limited lifespan.

I agree with just buying good base layers an stuff. Thats what im lookin into doing just buying a good set of merini wool base layers an ive been looking at the Sitka gear. Ive never liked wearin bibs ive always wore insulated camo pants so ive been looking at the sitka parkas and their camo pants, even though sitka gear is expensive it'd sure be worth it to keep you in the woods longer an keeping you comfortable, an with the reviews ive saw about it being tough and lasting.

3 or 4 years ago a guy in our group had a Milwaukee heated coat. He raved about how great it was and he was so warm. It seemed really really heavy to me. He hasn’t worn it since, I’ll have to ask him why?

I had a set of heated insoles. They worked well for 1 season in a tree stand. I wouldnt use them for active hunting.

I use heated socks under my waders in late duck season. I love them. I had a pair of heated insoles that I liked a lot, too. They wore out after several years and I couldn’t find them again to replace them.

I would ask first what type of hunt you plan on doing. Deer stand/blind hunting or western hunting? For stand hunting I have a very puffy, insulted pair of bibs (Cabelas) that are VERY warm......but I am not walking much in those or they become a sauna. Along with those I use a selection of layers due to 1) Flexibility of gearing up or down as the day goes and 2) NEVER having to depend on electronics to keep me warm when temps can be brutal. As far as footwear goes I have rarely seen anyone with heated socks/insoles that gets great performance. The best results seem to be top of the line socks (CPO has some but I forget the brand) that get put on once the person is ON stand, changing out the "walk in" socks. Also, I have never heard of a pair honestly working past 4-5 hours.

For western hunting, I would not even consider electronics.

One of the guys we used to hunt with would wear the Milwaukee vest. Sounds like the batteries would last about 3 hours but that was as long as he would sit anyway so it wasn't a big deal. They seem like more trouble than they were worth.

I've got heated pants. I just add dairy products, spicy food, and liberal amounts of beer or liquor to fuel the battery to get renewable heat all day long. Occasionally I have to change the rear filter when liquid fuel escapes the plant unexpectedly.

BTW, if you are gonna be sitting in a stand this is a great option.....

this is a solid recommendation. If you're sitting still, I'd take a look at Sitka's new Wind Stopper Kelvin Puffy. Yes it's expensive but also doesn't require electronics that have limited lifespan.
This, I wouldn't say you have to stick to sitka, as first lite and kuiu are great brands too. I personally use first lite, but the benefit of these pieces is they are generally lighter, and you dont need to charge them. first lite is especially great for layering purposes. i first got the parka 3 piece system from bass pro and it worked well in 15 degree weather and was water proof and warm. however it was heavy as hell, ESPECIALLY when wet, because it soaked up the water yet kept me dry. i have bought some first lite pieces to replace those and they are much lighter, more efficient and actually warmer somehow. technology is great..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back