Heat mess with your bow too?

mdunc8

I've been shooting a bunch lately and have found that my bow doesn't shoot for #%*@ if I leave it in the trunk of my wife's car on the way to my buddy's house. Do new bows have that problem too or is it just my old POS? I'm a little worried about transporting it during archery season (especially antelope) if it's super hot. I realize keeping it in the back seat out of the sun as much of possible where I can keep the AC on it will help, but I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Heat can DESTROY laminated limbs. Keep you bow reasonably cool. 105% or 110% isn't going to trash it, but left in a car or trunk, baking in the sun, it could easily get 140%+, and cook you bow.

Worry more about what it does to your string than the limbs. Your string stretches like anything else, some a lot more than other. Letting it get too hot will lengthen your draw, drop your poundage, and through off your tune. Don't ever put your bow in the trunk in the summer or sit anywhere where its going to get hot. Its fine when you hunting in hot weather as your in and out of shade, and there is air circulating. Put it in the backseat. Now go retune your bow.

yeah heat is a bad thing for any bow new or old yet in hunting it's ok due to the fact its usually not direct heat for extended periods I've been a bow tech for many years and one thing I warm customers about is how they transport the bows the shoot yet in my opinion you should treat your bow as a child and not allow them to over heat nor be to cold yet like I said in hunting you've got wind shade and these things the bow is set up to with stand yet as for direct heat in a car or home you should think this through and better manage your gear it will take care of you if you take good care of it

Besides a major failure, the heat will cause your bow to lose max poundage settings. I left my bow in the shed one day after shooting in the back yard. the next day it his the upper 90's and my bow was in pieces when i found it. What went first I do not know, maybe the string or cable.

Last year my limbs split after leaving it in my truck in 90 degree heat. Won't do that again.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back