Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

He bit the hand that feeds him. 🤬

Yep, I am the worst Dad in the world. My daughter is having a tough time with the news. I showed her my hand and the blood, she only cares about the dog’s sentence. She will get over as he has to be quarantined for 10 days. Then I am sure I will hear it again on the day of his appointment.

Damn, I was hoping to read a happy update. You are doing the right thing.
We were too, he has been getting shy and cowardly. Any type of correction even the stink eye has him reacting. Today he was wearing his training collar because the deer were in the yard. He hasn’t been shocked in years, but the site of it changed his mood. Just wearing it keeps him out of trouble. I went to take it off and got nailed twice. Didn’t even have the remote.

He used to be such a proud dog full of vigor. Loved that collar as it meant he was going out to the field. He would get so excited when I got it out. I wonder if he isn’t slipping in his mind.

We were too, he has been getting shy and cowardly. Any type of correction even the stink eye has him reacting. Today he was wearing his training collar because the deer were in the yard. He hasn’t been shocked in years, but the site of it changed his mood. Just wearing it keeps him out of trouble. I went to take it off and got nailed twice. Didn’t even have the remote.

He used to be such a proud dog full of vigor. Loved that collar as it meant he was going out to the field. He would get so excited when I got it out. I wonder if he isn’t slipping in his mind.

As much as it sucks, I'd say you can't have him around kids anymore. Whether he needs to go to some ranch where there aren't any or go to THE ranch, just think about how bad you'd feel if a little one was permanently damaged by him. I had a friend in college whose lip was torn by her sister's aggressive dog when she was small, it left a lifelong scar.

I am really sorry to read this. I’ve been in your shoes in a similar situation, and I know full well how this feels. It sucks. Plain and simple, it’s an absolute shit sandwich.

Unfortunately, not every dog has the appropriate mental stability.

No dog trainer here and I don't condone owning a dog who bites either, but I wouldn't be entirely mad at that dog for biting. That's HIS space after all. I got 3 dogs and all are crate trained with their own crates. (Old dog rarely uses his anymore) but I never reach in there for anything unless I'm setting their food bowls down too feed them.

I am no trainer either, but I don’t believe there is any excuse for a family pet to bite a person. When I get my pups I take food out of their mouth at dinner time. Put my hands in their crates whenever I wish. When I trust them I have the wife and kids do the same. They are pack animals and they need to know where they fit. Humans are not to be bitten. To do otherwise with kids in the house or neighborhood is just inviting a life changing disaster. I have never had a dog fail this expectation, but if/when one does it will be moved to a place without kids or put down.

God this sucks for everybody. You really never know what's going on in their heads. They pick up on clues people will never understand, but with your kids around you just can't have a biter. My wife's little sister had to rehome their dog at six or seven. Dog had issues when they had their second kid. Lots of exercise, attention, routines, kids fed, etc, but couldn't handle being last in line with a growing family and bit their oldest daughter (twice). Sometimes the right choice still sucks.

God this sucks for everybody. You really never know what's going on in their heads. They pick up on clues people will never understand, but with your kids around you just can't have a biter. My wife's little sister had to rehome their dog at six or seven. Dog had issues when they had their second kid. Lots of exercise, attention, routines, kids fed, etc, but couldn't handle being last in line with a growing family and bit their oldest daughter (twice). Sometimes the right choice still sucks.
It was weird today, this is a routine we have done hundreds of times. That collar lives by the door, if the deer are out the wife or I put it on him to go out. He comes in and gets it taken off. It’s not shocking him, 50% of the time we don’t even turn it on.

On another note he has been wandering lately as well. He took off on a walk about for a couple hours last week. Ignore his whistles and just did his own thing.

I had to put down our family pet around a year ago. A 12yo boxer mix named Penny that was as gentle and loving as could be, until she wasn’t. She was losing her hearing and sight, and her mental capacity was obviously slipping.

She uncharacteristically snapped at one of the kids one evening and then went right back to being herself, almost like something just came over her and then she was back. I knew that it was time. I couldn’t risk that again. She was old, but still powerfully built. I had a hard time on the drive to the vet and for quite a while afterwards , but it had to be done. I still miss her

I hate it for you, sir.

Yeah, something's not right. I went through similar stuff (no biting or agression tho) when my last dog was at the end, but he was damn near 15. Dog would look at you and was like "nope, I'm heading through the the neighborhood and you can't do a damn thing about it....except follow me in the snow in your crocs."

Yeah, something's not right. I went through similar stuff (no biting or agression tho) when my last dog was at the end, but he was damn near 15. Dog would look at you and was like "nope, I'm heading through the the neighborhood and you can't do a damn thing about it....except follow me in the snow in your crocs."
What is the update on your pup?

Last edited:
It was weird today, this is a routine we have done hundreds of times. That collar lives by the door, if the deer are out the wife or I put it on him to go out. He comes in and gets it taken off. It’s not shocking him, 50% of the time we don’t even turn it on.

On another note he has been wandering lately as well. He took off on a walk about for a couple hours last week. Ignore his whistles and just did his own thing.
From your descriptions, it seems like there is a clear pattern of escalation in spite of the steps you’ve taken to correct it. That’s concerning.

Terrible decision to have to make, but I think you are making a wise one.

I would try running those dogs, if you don't already. 3-5 miles or so 3-4 times a week. On a leash is okay. Off a leash is better. It's works wonders once you get the piss and vinegar out of them.

Back