Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hawaii hunting Axis deer....

Was just looking at a possible trip myself next year somewhere over there again. Following

Looks like we will hunt with Hawaiisafris on Maui. Pat Fisher outfitter booked through Marks exclusive adventures.com. Now to find a condo or hotel for July 1-8, 2023. Everything is expensive there. Will use outfitters rifle as so damn difficult to travel with firearms these days. Found out trying to take my rifle to Spain last Oct. Ended up using Spanish outfitters rifle. More to come. MTG

Sorry to derail. Any recommendations on doing an axis Hawaii hunt as cheap as possible. Air fare not not usually an issue. But locations and airports are still good info I'd like to have. Thanks!

I have hunted turkey on Maui. Didn't see much sign of Axis, though that just may have been the location we were hunting. I have hunted Lanai twice, on the Dole Plantation, and it was worth every $$$ !! Ridiculous deer population at an equally Ridiculous price point. Island hop airfare is cheap. If you're a Vet search out one of the bases Rod & Gun clubs on Oahu, they're always ready to jump.

I have hunted turkey on Maui. Didn't see much sign of Axis, though that just may have been the location we were hunting. I have hunted Lanai twice, on the Dole Plantation, and it was worth every $$$ !! Ridiculous deer population at an equally Ridiculous price point. Island hop airfare is cheap. If you're a Vet search out one of the bases Rod & Gun clubs on Oahu, they're always ready to jump.
Awesome! Many thanks for the info.

I reached out to JT13 for information. He was very gracious and informative offering valuable input. Thank you so much for your help sir. MTG

I reached out to JT13 for information. He was very gracious and informative offering valuable input. Thank you so much for your help sir. MTG
My pleasure, good luck out there!

Wanting to go hunt deer on Molokai but waiting for the Deer TB to pass. Big die-offs there past couple years.

The outfitter that I was scheduled to hunt with passed away this spring. Spoke to his family to forward my condolence. They have scheduled for me to hunt Molakai July 5&6. Will have to fly from Maui to Molokai and stay overnight. Another considerable $$$$ outlay. Scheduled flights and stay at Molokai hotel prior day. Will have to find a good place for food. Wish I knew more about the island of Molokai. Oh well, good ‘nuff! As long as I get to hunt Axis with my grandson.
BTW, this is the second arranged hunt where the outfitter passed before my hunt trip came to fruition. Scary! Not my intent, but have no control of anyone’s life. I truly feel bad for the families. MTG

The outfitter that I was scheduled to hunt with passed away this spring. Spoke to his family to forward my condolence. They have scheduled for me to hunt Molakai July 5&6. Will have to fly from Maui to Molokai and stay overnight. Another considerable $$$$ outlay. Scheduled flights and stay at Molokai hotel prior day. Will have to find a good place for food. Wish I knew more about the island of Molokai. Oh well, good ‘nuff! As long as I get to hunt Axis with my grandson.
BTW, this is the second arranged hunt where the outfitter passed before my hunt trip came to fruition. Scary! Not my intent, but have no control of anyone’s life. I truly feel bad for the families. MTG
We ate at Paddlers and Hiro's Ohana Grill, both were good and as tourist friendly as things get on Molokai.

The Hotel Molokai is not luxury but it's fine, most guests were traveling tradesman, construction workers, or family of locals. Be respectful to the locals, they dont like tourists. Don't leave anything valuable in the car, criminals target rental cars. Don't go wandering around alone at night. Drive slow...and I mean slow...significantly under the speed limit or passerbys will yell at you. If you're with a local guide, most will leave you well enough alone.

Make time to see Greg Solotorio on the end of the island and do the cultural experience/waterfall hike he offers. Trust me.

Just completed purchasing Hawaii hunting license for myself and grandson for Molakai hunting trip. Amazing how easy to do so online. I/we believe we have all arranged for Maui/Molakai trip early July. Has been very interesting getting our ducks in a row.
BTW, the original Hawaii booking outfitter passed away earlier this year. This makes two outfitters that I have booked with, in one year, that have died before our trip came to fruition. Hope I am not a pariah. Will keep all informed. MTG

Back