Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hawaii hunt planning

A big Axis is my nemesis. I've taken several small bucks but haven't been able to put an arrow in a big one. I've had opportunities but something always goes wrong. I was planning a trip for this next May but I decided to change it up a bit and decided to go to Molokai instead. Something different.

I took a friend from Mexico to Lana'i for Mouflon and he passed on a ram like yours because he wanted one like mine, he didn't punch his tag. He had another opportunity on a bigger ram but spooked the ram off. We were limited in our search because I found out in the hunt that he has vertigo.

Nice job brownbear! Much of what you mentioned brought me back to what I experienced. It was definitely a unique hunt. Those big axis definitely have me thinking about future hunts. I looked at the totals from 2016 and 633 sheep were harvested with 373 being rams, so it looks like the numbers were up this year.

Good work Brownbear! That island is hard to beat...great people, great scenery, and more animals to chase than you can imagine!

Hey, Looks Like Glasseye, Brownbear and Alwayshunting had some pretty awesome trips! Has anyone hunted the big island for Mouflon? Does Bowhunting give you any advantage, or is it best to muzzleload? Is there a time of year when they aren't hearded up as much so they dont spook so easy?
Also what is the difference between Mouflon and a Polly Ram? cant seem to find much on them online.

From what I have read mouflon hunting on the big island has really went downhill due to eradication operations. On Lanai bowhunting would give you the benefit of a guaranteed tag, longer season, and hunting less pressured sheep. Not sure about a better time of year to hunt them but I was really surprised how spooky they were and how many were spotting me before I spotted them. The pollie rams are just a mouflon ram with deformed horns.

From what I have read mouflon hunting on the big island has really went downhill due to eradication operations. On Lanai bowhunting would give you the benefit of a guaranteed tag, longer season, and hunting less pressured sheep. Not sure about a better time of year to hunt them but I was really surprised how spooky they were and how many were spotting me before I spotted them. The pollie rams are just a mouflon ram with deformed horns.

Thanks Alwayshunting! Much appreciated.

Most of the sheep on the Big Island are feral sheep or Mouflon/Feral Hybrids. There are some pure Mouflon above the Volcano National Park. They have eradication hunts within the park and hunters are participants but you are accompanied by a park ranger and no trophy hunting is allowed. If you do decide on the Big Is. and want pure Mouflon send me a message. This pic of a dead head was found on public land above the park. Also, Lana'i is great for glassing long distances, whereas on the Big Is. above the park it is heavily forested and not good for glassing at all.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 242
I have been following this thread and previous ones on hunting Lanai and finally this year I decided to finally give it a go. I was fortunate enough to draw a rifle tag for Sept 1&2. It's time now to start my research and planning an to say I am getting excited is an understatement. Glasseye has already been a big help as well as re-reading this and other threads.
Some questions on the top of my head are do you need to shoot a ewe first or can you just shoot a ram?
How are the roads getting into areas? Assume I will need a jeep for accesss?
Register at lanai city?

Hope to do a report when I return

Dan

Dan

Lana'i City is tiny and you will easily find the check station. Last time I hunted it you had to kill a ewe first, check it in and they mark the ear so that the same ewe can't be passed around. after they mark it they give you an "Any Sheep" tag. Most of the roads are dirt and on top they are good but as you venture down the steep ridgelines they get real ugly, the farther down you go the worse they become. Some ruts in the roads are like crevasses and few will drive to the end of the road. This is mostly on the west side. Get out and walk.

They don't rent cars on Lana'i, only jeeps. You can rent 4x4 trucks from locals and don't have to go through Dollar Rental.

This pic wasn't even on a bad road but the dry grass was hiding a crevasse and my friend almost went over into the steep gulch. Only a boulder against the foot rail was holding the truck up from rolling over. Tow truck driver showed up in his tow truck, looked it over and said " No way", he left and came back with this.

Attachments

• Lanai tow 001.jpg
    Lanai tow 001.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 251
Last year filling the ewe tag was not required prior to purchasing the ram tag but you were required to purchase the ewe tag first. The pollie tag was free and also given right away. I did not drive too many of the roads as I spent much of the time on foot, but what I did see was rougher than what I would take a car on but no issue with a truck.

Def need a 4x4 the roads can get rough. I almost had to spend the night the biggest issue I had was the Sandy areas.
I got trapped in a couple of those.
Last year you had to buy ewe tag and then you could buy ram tag but no rule on which to take first. They gave you pollie tag to fill. Lots of sheep I tagged out first morning and I drew a really late hunt. Prob saw 25 sheep before 9am. You will have a great time I'm dying to go back.

Found this Forum and read the thread. I am headed to Hawaii with the family in July. staying on the Big Island for 5 days and Oahu for 5 days. Any tips?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back