Caribou Gear

Have you seen the prices of new aluminum boats these days?

Some day I would like a big 20’ Lund or alumacraft tiller. The steering wheel and window is nice but it takes up so much space

Some day I would like a big 20’ Lund or alumacraft tiller. The steering wheel and window is nice but it takes up so much space
Warrior 2090! I had an alumacraft before the warrior, and you just can't beat the ride of a fiberglass boat. I've driven through 10'-12' waves on lake of the woods going from fourmile though the inlet for a tournament!

Warrior 2090! I had an alumacraft before the warrior, and you just can't beat the ride of a fiberglass boat. I've driven through 10'-12' waves on lake of the woods going from fourmile though the inlet for a tournament!
I have never been in a glass boat in my life. Seems everyone runs aluminum’s here. Not sure the pros and cons of each

Is it just me or are the motors on 16-18 ft aluminum boats pretty friggen gigantic these days?

I've been shopping around and it seems like these things are way overpowered for such small light boats, 40-80hp.

...however this is coming from a guy who's only boat is a 12ft Sears Game Fisher with an 8 horse mercury

I have never been in a glass boat in my life. Seems everyone runs aluminum’s here. Not sure the pros and cons of each
Fiberglass is at least 5x smoother to ride in. Cuts waves instead of bouncing off of them. Stronger than aluminum, much dryer ride as fiberglass can be molded into shapes that aluminum can't be made into. Rivets leak, even brand new aluminum boats can have leaks...

GUESSING you didn't get it? StaySharp was an avid poster of miscellaneous threads about just about anything. Mostly how-to threads where he went into VERY detailed descriptions. His thoughts were always correct and any discouraging words were met with laughter or totally ignored.
Yep, he FAFO'd with Fin...guy was obviously smart as hell but man, what a beating. Sort of like shrapnel with more personality.... ;) :)

Is it just me or are the motors on 16-18 ft aluminum boats pretty friggen gigantic these days?

I've been shopping around and it seems like these things are way overpowered for such small light boats, 40-80hp.

...however this is coming from a guy who's only boat is a 12ft Sears Game Fisher with an 8 horse mercury
I have a 16' Lund tiller boat with a 25 hp Honda on it. Even with a high-torque prop, I can't get it to plane with more than one passenger. I like to get the kids out fishing, so I'm always wishing I had a 40...

Grew up on a 14 ft v hull basic freakin boat, didnt even hae a motor. My dad and I put a ton of work into making that thing a really nice fishing boat. I think he paid 50$ for it and we fixed it all up put in really nice seats. Installed rod holders and built a livewell in the center seat area. Some folks just dont know how to fix things anymore.

We cruised around on an electric trolling motor for years until he came across a nice 10hp outboard
Built a steering system for it cause dad was sick of holding the handle. Had everything new boats had (minus the 50hp merc)

Learned a lot of lessons with that boat. Dont buy things you cant afford just to enjoy some leisure time.

My Honda 25 gets two of us up on plane in my 16' War Eagle. Wouldn't mind a 40 but the extra weight concerns me, ...along with the cost. Bought the boat, motor, trailer for $2500. Put about $1000 in to it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back