Have you ever NOT felt like hunting?

Well to answer your original question, no I haven't ever felt like NOT hunting but I am also not in your situation and I feel for you.

That's a tough deal but being outdoors/hunting/fishing/whatever is one place I go where I am in total control and it brings peace and helps me de-stress from work or whatever else is ailing me.

I always feel reinvigorated after spending time in the woods or on the water and it helps me right myself and gives me perspective.

I hope it does for you too, and am glad you go out and hopefully you continue to do so.

Can't say I know how you feel because everyone is different but I certainly hope you get through this rough time and come out the other side happier, wiser, and with a new lease on life.

I know I've been battling an ongoing lawsuit at work for over 8 years. Some days suck just coming in to the office and others are even worse when we have court dates or depositions. I've been through the divorce thing before and I got my son out of it and did the best I could. Ironically enough, I met my current wife at a hunting club in Georgia and she was the first woman I went on a date with while I was separated and going through my divorce. Been married to her for almost 25 years now. I recon I will keep her :sneaky: .The depression issue can be gripping. We can let ourselves drown in self pity and loathing if we are not careful. I find it hard to get excited about certain things until I just get there and enjoy it. I really would love to kill a huge bull one day. May not ever happen but I will enjoy the time I spend outdoors and just take in the beauty of this great big world in which we are temporarily here visiting. A humming bird buzzing a bright flower or even the whistling of wood ducks as they pass over my morning deer stand. Even those aggravating squirrels barking at me and I'm certain they are telling the deer where I am at. Just breathe and know that tomorrow is never guaranteed and that we need to enjoy today. Maybe those little things can be worked out with your wife.

Last edited:
Food for thought.

Exercise is one of the hardest things to do when I’m depressed, and yet it is one of the absolute proven ways to feel better. Few people when they’re depressed love getting up and exercising, but most people feel better after they do it. You probably already know it does all the right things for brain chemistry, and can be as effective as medication. The trick is not to think about it. As soon as I start to think about it, I talk myself out of it. I have to “just do it” without thinking about it. The form or exercise should be rewarding in itself—walking amid nature, in interesting parts of the city, or with a friend, dancing, Zumba (if that’s your thing; it’s not mine), or cycling—whatever involves movement and increased heart rate for a sustained period of time.

It always gets better my friend!
I've been dealing with some similar relationship stuff, it can suck all of the enjoyment out of life for sure if you let it, and just getting out the door can feel impossible but the above advice is pretty spot-on, it's pretty hard to feel sorry for yourself when you are struggling to keep a pace running up a hill, or bombing down one, or whatever works for you, just getting out and elevating the heart rate is one of the best things for emotional pain for me for sure, and just being present in the moment is really helpful, and somewhat rare these days, exercise, even if its just walking in the woods helps tap into that...
the hard part is starting, and it's not easy at all, it might take forcing yourself to do it every time but I bet you won't be disappointed with the relief it brings...
also good advice on talking to friends and a therapist, just getting it off your chest can be a big help, a good therapist can ask the right questions to get you thinking about it in the best way possible...

Dave I know the feeling. My last out of state elk hunt was in 2016. I was going through the divorce during that time. Just this August I went on a deer hunt for a week, and it took some getting used to. Felt different for sure.

I think much of my eagerness to hunt the years before that was escaping the unhappiness at home.

The thing is hunting we have a lot of time to dwell on our thoughts, and sometimes that isn't fun and spirals down into downright depression. Therapists can give you tools and exercises to get out of that viscous cycle, like imagining the worst case scenario when you don't know how it is going to turn out.

My best coping mechanism was "She can't take this time I have here today away from me..." And I would focus on making the most of that time and soaking up everything about it...Remember every minuscule detail of what was GOING ON then and there..and truly be in the moment.

Best of luck my friend...

Quick update. I'll be leaned up against my favorite tree Friday morning with 2 deer tags in my pocket. Things are better at home. Day by day, but no "hallway sex" for a while now. Alaska cabin still for sale, no callers yet. Go figure.

Thanks for all of the thoughts, messages, and well wishes. Means a lot.

Only time I didn't feel like hunting was after 10 days chasing elk in Colorado putting in 15 plus miles a day. After that I needed a break. But I can't tell you how many times I've gone duck hunting after debating on sleeping in only to be glad I was out there. Half the time I get skunked but it's better than sitting at home. No matter what's going on in your personal life, 6 day work weeks and all, that one morning sitting in a blind or tree stand watching the sun rise is good for the soul. Even if you don't see any game, just being out there can work wonders on your well being. Ive never been in your shoes, but I have a very stressful career and I'll never pass up a morning in the field, it improves your quality of life by leaps and bounds!

More and more recently! To many issues have become a major distraction! Hunting was a break away from life, really enjoyed just spending days out. Now, it’s more like ....quickly get freezer meat and get back home! This has really quenched the passion for hunting I once had! memtb

Well, I guess it's a good thing I decided to go out this morning. Not sure how many squirrels were running around but FINALLY around 12:30 I saw this guy and said I don't care about big or small. I just need one for me. Bang, flop. Nice heavy body for a younger buck and will be good for the freezer. Fried up some heart steaks for dinner tonight. Back out in the morning for a doe. Most importantly, it was good to get out into the woods again.20191122_123941.jpg

Well, today was a bit exciting to say the least! Wasn't 15 minutes after hours opened I was trying to make out what was moving across the ravine from me. Just happened to swing my head to check the area around me and had a doe standing 15 feet away looking right at me. Damn, no handgun. Stared at each other for a bit and she started walking behind me. Got my muzzle loader and leaned it around the tree and saw her looking head on to me at about 30 feet now. Scope was at 9X and dark enough that I couldn't see the shot. Leaned back out of view and dialed down the scope. When I leaned back out she hadn't moved. Stupid deer! Lined up at the base of the neck and shot. This is the part where you folks say "it got western". She reared up at the shot and collapsed, proceeding to make like a snowplow driving with her hind legs. Made a turn to the right. Straight over my legs while I held my rifle over my head. Came to a stop 5 feet away. Holy crap! Sure am glad it wasn't a buck! May have been a little more interesting than just getting ran over. Sore spot on my leg but I'll live! 20191123_064915.jpg

You have had a wild couple of days to say the least. Congratulations on a couple of nice whitetail. I guess you will be busy this next week "cutting and wrapping" some steaks, roasts, and chops.

Yeah, now the real work starts! Grateful for the meat and it sure got me going on hunting again! Can't say that I missed bow hunting this year. Maybe next year. But now I have a couple stories for our daughter. If she would have been with me like the old days it would have slammed into her too!

Back