Havalon or Gerber Vitals?

ingomar

Trying to decide whether to use a Havalon knife or the Gerber Vitals. Both use dispensable blades. Any thoughts?

Or thoughts on an Outdoor Edge... my father in law got me one (not knowing I had a Havalon). The bladed pop out by pushing a button which is a lot safer/easier than my Havalon.

Saw an endorsement on the Gerber from Big Fin, might put it on the Christmas wish list.

I have a Havalon but changing the blades when it is cold can be a challenge, even with a small pliers. Thanks

I would like to hear more about the outdoor edge razor blaze (I think they're called). It would be nice to not have to have pliers to switch blades

I have a Outdoor Edge knife with changeable blades. Changing blades just with the push of a button and you can slide it right out. Very sharp and very durable. I would highly recommend this knife over any others for skinning and gutting!

After using the Gerber on the Alaska bear hunt I'm sold. The blades change on and off much easier than the Havalon. I also liked the feel of the handle better. That's my opinion.

Anyone want to humor my laziness and tell me if the Gerber uses the same blades as the Havalon? I have a ton of blades.

I use a Havalon and do not like the blades. They break easily and the blade change can be scary. I have not used other brands but would consider the Gerber or Outdoor Edge as I believe the disposable blade system is a great idea.

As many elk as I have been blessed to take, the excitement continues to eliminate any possible finesse in my butchering skills. The disposable blades have broken the two instances when I attempted to use them. My hefty Montana Ruana remains my knife of preference, albeit it requires touch-up sharpening a few times to properly deal with an elk.

Ok I'm just going to play the devils advocate with this question. Do those knives that use replaceable blades have someplace to put the used blades? I'd hate to think all the used blades are just being thrown on the ground. If they are stainless steel I don't thing they will rust away in a couple of years.

Today is the first day I've looked at my Outdoor Edge knife since it was given to me at Christmas.

Here's a pic of my Havalon and Outdoor Edge. The H is 1.5oz whereas the OE is 4oz. The OE blade is very sturdy - you can't bend it like the H blade. Plus it has further support in the handle so I wouldn't think it would break unless you really lever it.

Changing the blade on the Havalon is scary. Furthermore, I can't remember how to do it after 9 months so I'd be trying to remember in the field. I could see getting seriously cut in the field trying to change it with bloody hands; even with pliers it's scary.

On the other hand, the OE blade change is a no-brainer. You have to push the button fairly firmly (on the down side of knife) so I don't think you could release the blade accidentally while gutting a deer. The blades can be ordered from OE for $24.95 per dozen.

The Havalon worked fine for me for several deer last year. I think I could get two deer per blade. I never had a problem with the blade breaking. The edge might be slightly sharper for the H, but I could shave arm hair with the OE so it is good enough. The H blade stays stainless, but the blade and holder of the OE must not be since the instructions warn of rust.

I haven't used the OE yet, however it seems like a way better knife: sturdier and the blade is much easier/safer to change. Downsides are it is larger and weighs 2.5oz more and you have to watch rust on the blade and holder.

Sorry I've never seen a Gerber for comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 783
Ok I'm just going to play the devils advocate with this question. Do those knives that use replaceable blades have someplace to put the used blades? I'd hate to think all the used blades are just being thrown on the ground. If they are stainless steel I don't thing they will rust away in a couple of years.
The blades come in a sleeve that you could reuse to pack them out safely, but I'm guessing a lot of people will just toss them on the ground next to their cig butts and PBR cans.

Anyone want to humor my laziness and tell me if the Gerber uses the same blades as the Havalon? I have a ton of blades.

I never really thought much about it until I saw that they take the #60 blade.

The #60 blade appears to be a medical standard. Not sure about the #60A and #60XT from havalon and if that a bit of a customization on their end as they seem to be heavier, but there should be no difference among #60.

Looks like doctors have been getting ripped off @ $79 for 100 blades compared to $30 for the havalons.

http://www.havels.com/havels-extra-thick-autopsy-blades-aut60.html

Not all blades are thrown on the ground, I pack mine out.

I started with a Havalon but bought an Outdoor Edge last year.

I didn't cut myself with the Havalon, but it was an accident waiting to happen. I've broken too many of those blades off inside a critter while gutting it. Changing the blades is even scarier. The OE blades seem much stronger.

Considering buying one of these for this fall too. Anybody know how durable the outdoor edge is? I've heard great reviews about the havalons. Curious how they'd compare. The OE knife also seems better overall. I'm sure it can be done, but it can't be a lot of fun to skin and debone an elk/moose with one.

Not all blades are thrown on the ground, I pack mine out.

Not accusing anyone. I only ask this because I still see pull tabs from cans still on the ground and it's been probably 30-35 years since cans had them.

Back