Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Havalon Knives

TRS_Montana

Been thinking about picking up a Havalon knife. Anyone have any opinions on these knives? Any preferences for any particular models? Thanks!

All I've used for the past 4 seasons. Can't say I've ever been disappointed with them. Blades are a little tricky to pop off but with a little practice they aren't bad.

I have the smaller one that I use in the field for field dressing, I also use it for skinning. I think it is the Piranha.

I also have the Barracuda which is the filet knife. It works great for boning out the animals.

I hate sharping knifes so I really like them.

Piranta.

I also have the smaller Piranta, like it a lot just make sure you have extra blades in the case, I usually break one or two when breaking down a critter.

Also like to have my multi tool to change blades, cut myself the first time and figured it out right away.

They are as advertised, really sharp, just don't put any sideways torque on them or they break.

I saw on Jim Shockey's show they have a new two blade folding model with a typical heavy blade and the replaceable razor blade. Would like one of those, but just sent the last payment for my CO elk hunt in this week and the finances are a little lower than I like to see. It looks like it will be quite a bit heavier, a few ounces can make a big difference if you are carrying everything on you back.

I have the paranta model and love it. When used correctly it is butter vs hot knife. And by correctly I mean used as a surgical scalpel blade (which it is). It needs to be used with a slicing motion, and not a directly applied downward force, as with a full tang sheath knife.

Big Fin shared on his Sitka adventure he was using the replaceable blade knife put out by Gerber. Looks similar in design and blade use, but supposed to be more replacing and blade storage friendly

Think "slice", not cleave.

I have the Piranta and it is a good knife for what it is. I think the one that Outdoor Edge puts out is a heavier duty knife. The Havalon is real good for skinning small critters.

I also have the Pirahna, I skinned and boned a whole elk and would only have used 3 blades if I didn't break one. Only knife I carry now. As said above much easier to replace the blades with a multi tool. Get one and don't look back!

I only use my Havalon for skinning. I have the Outdoor Edge replacable blade knife for heavier work since it's got a more stout blade. I suck at sharpening knives, so these are a god send. I've never had a problem cutting myself changing blades on my Havalon, so I'm not quite sure what the issue is.

I love the Havalon, it is all I carry now with 10 blades in the holster. Usually bone and skin an elk with 4 blades (I break them working fast)
If anyone is looking for a 100 pack of blades (60XT) PM me. I have a few boxes I need to sell off cheap.

I have the Piranta. Have used it to skin and quarter a number of caribou, works very well. I even did 3/4 of an Alaskan moose (skinned and quartered) using only two blades. If you've seen how thick the hide is on a moose around his neck and shoulders, that's a pretty good testament to the blade sharpness.

Seems about the only time I use my Leatherman anymore is to change the blades on my Havalon. The version I have makes me nervous using my fingers to change blades, especially in remote areas a long ways from help.

I have had mine for about 3 years and use it all the time. I even dress birds and fish with it. Awesome little tool.

I use the piranha and I have a Barcuda with filet blade and the wider skinning blade. SCARY sharp! I also use my leatherman like others to remove the blade. The market for disposable blade knives has really gotten big and I think I would take a look at the Gerber if I was in the market now.

I took down a moose with one last year and more whitetails than I can count. I don't hit the field without a Havalon. I agree with the comment that you should be proficient with blade changing before you are in a job "elbow deep".

This is hilarious... in this thread we have nothing but good to say about Havalon, but at the exact same time there is another thread going on pointing out the problems with them.

I like my havolon piranta,,skins great,just not for cutting and twisting joints and such,i use my benchmade for the heavy stuff,carry extra blades and a multi tool to change blade if broken,depends on where blade breaks on how hard it is to get remainder part of blade to come off.a very good tool overall though.

I also have the piranha. Love it. Instead of taking the blades off when I'm finished with them, I put a little bit of light pressure on the and break them off. It's a lot easier then risking cutting your finger off. Can't go wrong with them imho

Use both models the smaller one and the barracuda, both are excellent in the field, i use them and then butchers knives for heavier work, but the barracuda comes close to be the best all round knife for hunting i can think of, and i use knives in the field most weeks of the year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back