MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hating the 7mm Rem. Mag

Bought in N.Z. wont see it myself untill the Thar trip in October, but also bought a brno zkk in .243 here in OZ, should be arriving as soon as the state police sign off on it :mad: ( dont ask, the gun laws in OZ are total arse)

Jeff.

I go away for a few months and come back to see Buzz praising the 7mag :D , I like it.

Sucks you (and I) can't find IMR4831, its the go to in mine as well, but found that 2-3 grains more of RL22 will print the same hole or dang near.

I load IMR4831 also in a 7 wby. cant find any either. so I worked up some loads with 7828, got a bit more speed and just as accurate.

Yes, the 7mm is a skinny bullet. With its high velocity there are some bullet expansion problems...just make sure you use a good bullet. I prefer a 30 cal or larger diameter bullet myself but the elk don't seem to get upset if they get shot with a 7mm vs a 30-06. They are just mad they got shot.

Anyway here is a little trick for grouping magnum cartridges if anyone is having problems: try using Aliants Reloder 22 powder. If you are shooting like BuzzH then leave it alone and go hunting.

the 7mag rem is definately my favorite all around caliber...I have 1 and have owned 3 over the years.

there is a bit of 'truth' to the bullet thoughts...I've always used 150 and 160 gr in partitions or psp's with no failures...ever. A couple of years back I got caught up in the 'speed' thing and switched to 140 gr win ballistic tips...ie meat mangelers! for that gun/caliber they were absolutely the worst combo Ive ever shot with 2 poor showings in 1 weekend. 1st was a quartering away shot about 50 yds on a huge wt on the run...shot him behind the shoulder...the bullet literally blew up on impact blowing a surface hole about 2x the sized of a fist...and a dangling front leg with no right shoulder. the second was on an average doe about 125 yds...hit high on shoulder, took ribs, backbone and everything holding on to it right out the other side. Ive never shot ballistic tips since and never strayed away from my 150 or 160 gr's for the 7 mag...and never had a problem since.

If you want to shoot a 150 or less in the 7 mag, use a Barnes. there is a love/hate relationship with Barnes, but their new bullets MRX/TTSX are impressive on game.

I am like Buzz though, I like 160 partitions, or 175 GameKings.

The 7 is redundant for me, I shoot a 30-378 or 30-06 most of the time with 180's, so the 7 sits alot.

when I step down in caliber, I normally go past the 7 to the 270 wby Weatherby.

Last edited:
Imr 4831

For you guys who need IMR 4831 and cannot find it I was at the range today and they had 5 one lb cans of it on the shelf. Problem is it is here in Virginia. Would be happy to pick you some up if really needed just not sure how we would handle the shipping.

rr...Id just put it in a 1 gallon ziplock, wrap it up real good so it wouldnt move around...put it in a box and ship it ground...and play dumb...no need to 'discuss' contents....lol

Last edited:
rosco- If you're still having trouble finding 4831, there's a store in Evanston that had oodles of it the last time I was in. I'll be heading up that way next week, if you would like me to stop by and see if they still have some just let me know.

pointer, I missed your post, I have a line on some powder and primers now but thanks for the offer.

are you talking about the sportsworld in back of the IGA grocery store? that is a good little shop.

I have/had two 7mm Rem Mag rifles. I bought my first one several years ago for my first South African hunt. It was a "plain jane" black Rem 700 ADL. It was kind of a spur of the moment hunt and the most accurate load I had for it was with 140 gr Ballistic tips. It worked great for 9 plains game animals from Bushbuck to Kudu and Blue Wildebeast. Most were one shot kills with little or no tracking.

A couple of years after that African trip, I took that same 7mm RM to the NW Territories for a Musk ox and Caribou hunt. For this trip I loaded it with 160 gr Accubond bullets. Again it worked great and I shot 2 Caribou and a Musk ox. One of the Caribou and the Musk ox officially scored above the B&C record book minimum.

After that Canadian hunt I traded in that black 700 ADL for a stainless 700 BDL. This is now my foul weather rifle. I did a little customizing on it: glass bedding the action, floated the barrel, polished and adjusted the trigger to a crisp 2 1/2 lbs, and added a 1" spacer and a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad on it. It easily shoots 3-shot MOA groups with 160 gr Accubonds.

I took this 7mm BDL to Africa in 2005 as my light rifle. I shot six animals with it on that trip varying from Mountain Reedbuck to Red Hartebeest. I hunted several properties on this trip, and one of the Professional Hunters, who also had a 7mm RM, was continually impressed with the large wound channels my 160 gr Accubonds made on the antelope that I shot with him.

Last year it was raining the day that I shot my Elk, so I used this stainless 7mm RM instead of the new .300 Weatherby that I had just finished building because I didn't want to get the new fancy walnut stock on the .300 wet. One 160 gr Accubond behind the front leg filled my freezer.

On paper, the balistics of the 7mm RM are very similar to the .270 Win, .280 Rem, and .30-06. I doubt that an animal hit with any of these could tell the difference. My personal experience has seen the 7mm RM to work very well on North American animals varying in size from Pronghorn Antelope to Elk and Moose, and on African plains game varying from Mountain Reedbuck to Kudu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back