Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Has anyone put a Lokka on a vehicle?

SFC B

I am looking at doing periodic upgrades as I can on Doug. This seems to be a pretty economical one for me. I can get a Lokka from Australia for the Dana 44 on my front for $219 including shipping.
This will give me a locker on the front when I put it in 4wd. Seems this is by far bang for the buck. The rear is LS (not the best but something) and will usually have the weight over those wheels as well. Time to start projects :)

As long as it’s the proper one for your 44, shouldn’t be to hard. Can’t remember if 44s have different differential cases based on gearing or not. Haven’t done an Aussie locker, but have torn apart a few axles and Uncle Sam trained me a lot as a mechanic for 20 years, so if you need a hand, just holler!

As long as it’s the proper one for your 44, shouldn’t be to hard. Can’t remember if 44s have different differential cases based on gearing or not. Haven’t done an Aussie locker, but have torn apart a few axles and Uncle Sam trained me a lot as a mechanic for 20 years, so if you need a hand, just holler!
Now you just made it more tempting!!!

And this would be mainly for the dirt, mud and rocks where I usually hunt 2nd season. A couple of fairly long hills that can get soupy and have had a pucker factor a couple of years.

For what it’s worth, I run a Eaton E locker in my 44. I like that I can have 4 wheel drive in the Jeep and still steer. If it gets to the point of no return, then I switch the locker on to get out and go back.

Have a quality shop do it and set the gears. There is nothing more annoying than gears whining and pinion bearings failing when you get a couple hundred miles down the road.

Another vote for an E- locker here. Too many downsides to a fully locked diff, especially front diff. I'll also second having it done by someone with the proper tools and know how. The new carrier will not match your old one, so your shim needs will be different. I build at least 20 diffs a year and while it's not rocket science, there are too many ways to do it wrong. You'd probably be pretty disappointed if your offroad upgrade causes you issues on the way to the hunt, or worse, leaves you stranded where you expected it to give you an advantage.

I’ve run an Aussie locker in my Jeep TJ since 2007. Same locker only replace pin springs once. I have beat the poop out of this rig with 35x15.5x15 super swampier TSLs that grooved all over the SE. Fl, Ga, Al, Tn, and Sc. On road characteristics is normal other then a ticking noise when you turn that is normal. Off-road it works great in mud, rocks, sand. I’ve only done one snow trip and it was only 6”ish of snow. Was a blast. Aussie has no horsepower limit or tire size limit on their warranty unlike most lunchbox style lockers. Very easy to install especially if you have someone familiar with them. Be sure to record your tolerances. They will be able to tell if it was installed out of spec. Out of the dozen at least that I have helped installed. I have only had one install outside of the tolerances. Called their CS to talk to the tech he reviewed my numbers. And gave it the green light. He said very rarely do they install outside the stated specs, but rarely it does happen and made a note in the purchase order. Outstanding CS. They sent me replacement springs and pins for free after I had the locker for over 7 years.

You should check out some of the Aussie 4x4 stuff. They are BRUTAL on their rigs and these are tried and true in that realm. Here is what it is https://www.lokka.com/
Wonder how they keep the price so reasonable. I guess for the price, it's not that big of a gamble. SFC, do a writeup if you get one. mtmuley

Wonder how they keep the price so reasonable. I guess for the price, it's not that big of a gamble. SFC, do a writeup if you get one. mtmuley
Surely will....you know I have to keep Doug publicized when I can :) Looking like it might be next spring.....we'll see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back