Has anyone ever called in a lion?

drahthaar

Even by accident? If so, what call were you using. Or what would be a good call, maybe calf elk, rabbit.

Has to be one of the most futile things a hunter can try, but I am up for anything at this point.

I've called in two of them, a big one, assuming an adult tom while spring bear hunting south of Bozeman, using a rabbit distress call. The other was in September, using a primos hyper hot elk call, laying in a grassy meadow on my back between two herds of elk, each with herd bulls screaming back and forth. After the one herd took off, I stood up and a lion bolted away from me, we was around 20 yards when I noticed, not sure how close it got to me. The two other guys hunting with me didn't notice the cat approach either. I think it was a smaller one, maybe a female.

I called a lion in while hunting with Sweetnectar's dad. We were cow calling and I saw this tan thing coming in through some ponderosa's. My first thought was that it was a whitetail. It was out about 150 yds. As we continued calling we could see it moving forward using the trees as a shield to hide itself. We finally realized it was a cat and it was hunting. At 80 yds. it finally realized that we weren't elk and took off.

Looking at that cat through binos was one of the most eery things I've seen. The look in it's eyes as it zig zagged throught the trees is one I'll never forget. Kind of makes you wonder how many times you've had one come in or pass by without knowing. Makes you feel a little weak when you know that there is someone hunting you.:eek:

Spitz and I saw 2 wrestling in the middle of the road on the way home from bear hunting two springs ago, but I wan't fast enough on the pedal the nail them.

Interesting. Can't say that I have ever called one in, but you sure never know I guess.

I wish we could get one more good dumping to at least see some tracks. Seems like more mulies have come down into the foothills, I would think there should be some lions following. The way things are going up in Eureka, they might be mowing grass soon, its crazy.

I have called 4 in by accident. 3 during bow season, and 1 during rifle. Elk calls brought them all in. This one closed the lion season in area 270 that year.
calledlion.jpg

drahthaar, I know your pain. I'm trying the same thing. It would seem to make sense to set up to call in an area where you have found, a fresh kill, tracks, or repeated sightings. Everyone around here is telling me to watch around the large groups of deer that have been along the river. I'm not so sure, after reading the results of others here, I am thinking about going and keeping tabs on a rather large group of elk that are in the area instead. I was out for a bit today and while using a deer bleat call did manage to call in two very responsive mule deer does. I saw over a dozen, but these two charged in from several hundred yards like a pair of coyotes. Pretty fun, but I was hoping for something with a longer tail. Interesting thing was, I had been calling for about 40 minutes and watching deer in the distance the whole time that showed no real interest then along come these two on the run. The meltdown of the snow has caused looking for tracks to be a bit of a pain right now so I think I am going to concentrate on following ravens, magpies and eagles around for a while in the slim chance of finding a kill to set up by. Oh yeah, to further complicate my effort, I can only kill a female in my area, so if and when I do spot one, I will then have to contact the neighbor with hounds to come a runnin unless by some miracale it decides to show me it's ass up close. I think I have a much better chance of winning the lottery, but aint about to give up. Good luck on your chase. twodot

Where are you hunting?

I called this really crusty old and very grumpy old houndsman who has been doing nothing but looking for a big tom for another guy, he is coming up empty, consequently even making him more grumpy. He says they just aren't around, I guess he has been roading the dogs to see where they break on a track. He has treed the same little tiny female and her kit several times just to run his hounds. If he can't come up with a lion, I am thinking that I am screwed.

Calling for some snow end of next week, jeez, even a 1/4 inch would help.

Last edited:
Breaks Runner, you dog. LOL I knew when I saw this post, that you had, been there, done that, and got the picture. The question is, was that intentionally called in, or a bonus on a coyote hunt. Would you pick a certian type of terrain, or setting up next to heavy deer use areas, along the river, or up in the ledges if you were looking for a lion down here on the Musselshell? twodot

twodot, Was just out coyote hunting that day and happened to have a lion tag in my pocket...the one thing I would be sure of now is the quota's are a lot more restricted now than back then. Like female quota's...kind of hard at times to tell what your looking at when one shows up at a distance.

Find deer and elk where you are there and more than likely there will be a cat around...stay and call a lot longer than you would if your calling coyotes....most of the cats I've called in came in pretty deliberate. Remember also that they like it better where there is a lot of cover...especially in the day light. e-calls are out as they are big game animals....practice with an open reed call to imitate a fawn in distress. Probably not a bad idea to have someone along with you.

I probably have been in for the most part, to open a country. (Kinda nerve wracking blowiing that deer bleat call where you have limited visibility} The quota being met on toms last week also pretty effectivly wipes out any chance of being able to shoot what comes in. Gonna just have to start thinking spring bear instead! twodot

Back