Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Orca Lover

Well, I saw it last night and that was a task in itself. Either sold out or no parking, we finally went to a theatre in a "small" town and bought the tickets an hour early.
But as for the movie, it was worth it. Although I am not too thrilled that the castle has changed or moved or the grounds have changed entirely in the last two movies, putting a visual effect to a book that I couldnt put down was great. The details that are in the movie are great and this movie shows more of the personality of the characters.
If you have read the books, it is a must see. But I would suggest reading the book before you see it, not after. It is a great book series, and a great movie.

I'll be taking the wife to see it next week so hopefully she is not disappointed. She is the biggest critic when it comes to Harry Potter movies. I get a bigger kick out of her comments during the movies than I do the movies themselves. Thanks OL for the update.

Saw it opening night too. Same deal with the parking, lines etc. Bought my tickets ahead on the net though, so I skipped the theater hopping thank goodness.

I agree with Orca that it is better to read the book before seeing this, but for the opposite reason. I don't think this movie (on it's own) did anything to further the story lines of the characters. This director seemed way more interested in special effects than storyline. Everything was skipped through so fast that I think someone who hasn't read this book would have a fair chance of being completely lost. Of course they are marketing this mainly to those who have read the book so it kind of solves that problem to a certain degree but I was still sort of annoyed by the pacing.

In addition, despite the fact that the director really seemed to be into the effects, they were kind of sketchy at best. The CGI was really grainy and amateurish in many places. Bear in mind though, that statement is coming from a Sci-fi geek, so I'm a little pickier on that sort of thing than many would be.

Overall I wouldn't have missed it just for the sake of being a fan of the series, but I think Cuaron's version of book 3 was a far more interesting movie in a stand-alone sort of way.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back