Hardcore coyotes

1oldcoyote

I hunt North central plains/or foothills. One Winter day it was bitter cold near -30 wind chill. I seen a pair of coyotes a tad over 1/2 mile out with my binocs. So in I snuck, slinking my way near for a prone shot amongst the foot hills. My last hill top. I stopped & went prone. The nearest of the pair was around 300 yrds out ( my scope was set for 300). The other coyote was around 350 yrds or so. I opted for the nearest one. After figuring wind drift. I took the shot & hit that coyote mid-ship.

Wind was a stout NorWester around 20 +/-. What interested me was when I shot. 3 other nearby coyotes that were completely buried by crust snow on that picked corn field. They all busted up out of that crust snow cover. Then took off Northbound in a tight formation. I knew sometimes during harsh bitter cold weather. A coyote will use a large culvert tube or an abandoned den hole. But at the time I did not know. Some will hunker down out in the open hills during a blizzard. I've seen this behavior 1 other time since the above hunt.

I hunt North central plains/or foothills. One Winter day it was bitter cold near -30 wind chill. I seen a pair of coyotes a tad over 1/2 mile out with my binocs. So in I snuck, slinking my way near for a prone shot amongst the foot hills. My last hill top. I stopped & went prone. The nearest of the pair was around 300 yrds out ( my scope was set for 300). The other coyote was around 350 yrds or so. I opted for the nearest one. After figuring wind drift. I took the shot & hit that coyote mid-ship.

Wind was a stout NorWester around 20 +/-. What interested me was when I shot. 3 other nearby coyotes that were completely buried by crust snow on that picked corn field. They all busted up out of that crust snow cover. Then took off Northbound in a tight formation. I knew sometimes during harsh bitter cold weather. A coyote will use a large culvert tube or an abandoned den hole. But at the time I did not know. Some will hunker down out in the open hills during a blizzard. I've seen this behavior 1 other time since the above hunt.
For those of you who are new to coyote hunting/behaviors. They will spend the vast majority of their time on the down-wind side of hills or in/adjacent to ground cover. Utilizing the up-wind mainly. For traveling from one down wind area to the next. They spend very little time on the up-wind side on hilly terrain. When bedded down. They will be facing a downwind direction. With their backside toward the prevailing wind. The higher the wind, the more in-alignment their muzzle will be facing down-wind. Use that behavior to your advantage.

Hey this is some cool info thanks for sharing bud. What was the movement patterns of these coyotes. Did they spend much time in a spot? Did they revisit the same spots day after day?

Did you use a call for this? 300 yard out shot huh? Was the coyote hunkering down is that why it was still enough for the 300 yd shot?

For those of you who are new to coyote hunting/behaviors. They will spend the vast majority of their time on the down-wind side of hills or in/adjacent to ground cover. Utilizing the up-wind mainly. For traveling from one down wind area to the next. They spend very little time on the up-wind side on hilly terrain. When bedded down. They will be facing a downwind direction. With their backside toward the prevailing wind. The higher the wind, the more in-alignment their muzzle will be facing down-wind. Use that behavior to your advantage.
Thanks for the advice

Back