Hardcore bow hunter

jeremys4

So I’m pretty much a pro been shooting my bow for two days now. I really don’t own much Camo let alone high end Camo. Most my money has been invested in optics and camping gear. What Camo do you run? I need light weight Camo maybe a light jacket. Also I was joking about being a pro. Thanks for any info your willing to give.

Sitka Subalpine. For early season the ascent pant with just the long sleeve and light weight hoodie. For later in the season I also have the kelvin lite puffy and heavyweight hoodie.

Right I’m a blue jean hunter but was worried about my smell. I usually hunt black powder last buck I killed was at 30 yards not all of it was skill. Just trying to up my odds. Appreciate all responses.

After 35 years of deer hunting and countless archery whitetails taken, I am convinced that camo doesn’t matter at all for deer. What does matter is the wind and being as still as possible when critters are close, especially during the draw cycle.
That said, I started using Sitka gear last year and it’s simply the best functional hunting clothing I’ve ever used. I like optifade open country for no other reason than it appeals to me. I am under no illusion that the camo helps me get game, it just doesn’t . It sure looks cool though.

A big ditto to what others have said camo doesnt matter keeping warm n dry does I have $ gear and cheap stuff

In the spirit of the OP's Introduction.....

...Yeah I know, when you are big time like us sorting through all the sponsorship offers is tough. You wanna make sure to pick a camo company that has the biggest audience on social media so that when you post your monster buck and tag them, the world sees just how much of a badass you are. Which is precisely why I refuse all the sponsorship offers and wear a piece from every pattern and every company. Those monster bucks can tell the patterns from last year's release because they were chased by guys in it head to toe LAST season. So I fool them . Trebark hat, Mossy oak shirt, Realtree pants, one Sage Country Gaiter and one Kenetrek gaiter. The key is to break up your outline. They just think you are a pile of laundry and relax...

Plus, when I tag and hashtag all the big companies as an IG influencer, I get 4X the exposure. it's WIN-WIN. Pro Tip...Carry all the company hats they give you free in your pack and take trophy photos wearing each one so they can use the picture in all their promotional materials.

(hmm is the satire font the same as the sarcasm font?)

In all seriousness, welcome to the archery addiction. Looking back a few (double digit ) years, it has been interesting watching my enthusiasm soar and wane on a variety of topics. The Lure of Aggressive Spending is real and necessary to our growth hunting. Just don't short your cash and time to allow your self to hunt as much and as well as you can. Remember no matter what decision you make on gear, 75% of the people you meet will think it is crap. Look at fit and function on your clothes and let whatever color or pattern they come in be of secondary concern. Happy and Frequent Hunting!

Last edited:
Sitka is very comfortable clothing. Unless you’re hunting turkeys, you’re going to gain a bigger edge by not wearing camo. This forces you to pay attention to wind/thermals, movement, Sky lining, and Keeping to shadows. Camo gives you a false sense of security. I like to cover my hands and face/eyes, but I hunt in solids quite a bit

I went Sitka got a killer deal on most of the gear 063C8941-952F-44E5-82C1-4DA2EF22C29C.jpegthanks for the advice and I’ll keep in mind to break up my patterns I have kryptek gators I’ll wear one on my wrist and fashion one on my calf.

So here's the thing...camo for the most part doesn't matter...UNLESS you are wearing very dark camo in open country, which makes you look like a dark blob. Movement is ultimately what kills the hunter, but you can get away with a little more if your clothing's contrast is low compared to the natural surroundings.

Times they are a changing and so are the deer and elk. The woods are full of people all year long now days. Hikers, bikers, birders, skiers, snowmobilers, total idiots, etc. The deer and elk have become accustom to these intruders and have grown to see them as harmless. They know camo covered people are up to something no good and flee at first sight. So you need to look like anything but a hunter. You need to shop for your hunting clothes at R.E.I. No boots just hiking shoes or running shoes or even sandals, all of them always worn with wool blend socks. In early archery season while it is still warm wear cargo shorts with every pocket full of junk. On warm spring days while turkey hunting bicycle pants are a good choice because you are probably going to be sitting on the ground and the padded seat is a god sent. In cooler weather you will want full length cargos, again with full pockets. Color must be caky, light brown or O.D. green. When the weather turns real cold go with snowshoes worn with brightly colored ski pants and jacket. Strap a pair of cross country skies to your light weight, again brightly colored, day pack to really sell the ruse. They also come in handy while dragging a deer out of the woods. While it is warm a light weight cotton shirt in a solid or plaid pattern is fine and as it gets colder you can wear a long sleeve tee shit under it. Jackets must be at least two toned at least one of those colors has to so bright it can be picked out from three miles away. The manufactures logo must be in full display across the front at all times. Head gear may very from a big floppy hat to a baseball cap with an extra large bill, to a bicycle or climbing helmet. But the preferred head gear is a brightly colored knit cap with chin ties hanging loosely down either sides and a cute little poof on top. These can be worn in any weather from 100 degrees to negative 10, doesn't matter. Now the most important items to remember are a fit bit on your wrist and a go pro on your hat. Without these the critters will see right through your deception every time.

I went Sitka got a killer deal on most of the gear View attachment 144494thanks for the advice and I’ll keep in mind to break up my patterns I have kryptek gators I’ll wear one on my wrist and fashion one on my calf.
Looks like quite the Halloween costume....... they'll never see ya coming. Even incorporated the COVID mask to stay safe out there 👍

Back