Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hard to take lesson

powderburn

Well I posted that I was going into the high country with a friend for a few days to check some of his spike camps. Travel light carry water, trail mix, granola bars, couple of camera's, rifle, tarp and bedroll, and mickey of choice.
We were only taking a horse each, no pack horses so we packed pretty thin. Started out great saddled up, packed the goods into a couple of saddle bags and then found out my son packed my 6mm ammo and I took my 300 savage. My friend packed what he thought was a box of shell turn out to be 5 loaded the rest empty.
Oh well mount up were going. I pulled out the video camera a couple of times but used my 35mm
camera alot. 6 1/2 hours later we pull into grizzly lake. Storm is brewing so we tend to the horses, collect fire wood and set up a little shelter. From about 6:30 until 10:30 the lightning and thunder was fantastic. What an experiance to be right in the middle of that storm. After the storm died down we had a couple
drinks and some snacks and called it a night.
20 minutes later Capt'n Kill is puking and coughing and generaly not looking to good. Ends up he had eatin a couple of peanuts that he wasn't supposed to. I'm thinking do I use up a round and put him down, ride out with him in total darkness or wait until morning and bug out.
Capt'n Kill says it's OK I'll be fine in the morning. Well morning came none to soon for me, 5:30. By 6:00 I've got us ready to ride out because Capt'n Kill looks like death warmed over.
He did not argue about riding out and after a couple of hours he was starting to feel better. By noon we were at the truck loading the horses into the trailer and back to town we came.
Now for what really ticked me off. I started wearing glasses for my reading and close up work about a year ago. I had left my glasses in the truck when we left to ride. I took 8 rolles of 24
film and used it all up. After I got the film developed today I found them all fussy. I could not see good enough to focus the figgin camera although I thought I was. 172 pics that only a handful are worth a crap.I'm going to scan some and will post the better ones tomorrow.

Man I thought that story was going to turn out a lot worse than that. You start talking about peanuts, you could be looking at emergency room time for some people. Sorry 'bout the pics though.

I know your pain, I would hand my nice camera to one of my employees to snap a couple of me while I would be taking down some big trees, had it focused and all ready to go, gave it to him, took the trees down, later got the film developed. Apperently he wanted to see clear, so he refocused so he could see good, and come to find out he needed glasses real bad. I couldn't put the trees back for another try, and he eventually got glasses. All well.... Sorry to hear your trip didn't turn out as you would have planned...

These are the ride in. Covered all types of terrain and the view was somewhat obscured because of the smoke from the fires in BC. I will post some camp pics later, company just showed up for coffee. Enjoy
f7579024.jpg

f7579019.jpg

f7578b50.jpg

f7578e0a.jpg

f7578e1b.jpg

I like your Signature abour "ASS's" .. .cuz Thats ALL I see in the Picture ;)

Thanx for the Pictures, I love them !! Looks like good areas. Chalk that experience up to "PRE HUNTING BLUNDERS" :D

Nice pics pburn. You are in some awesome country. Will you be hunting this area?

Nice pics. At least some of them turned out. I like the ones with the mountains in the "background". At least it all happened before hunting season and when you had headed up for a few days of hunting. Nice pics, again.
Orca Lover

mtmiller you could count the number of people that hunt this area on one hand. The guy I was with I call Capt'n Kill has shot 2 nice bull elk and 1 muley buck back in this area about 10 yrs ago. He lost both elk to grizzly bear and the deer to a cougar. The animal sign is everywhere but on our way in and out I saw 1 whitetail doe and a black bear that was crossing the road 100 yrds behind the truck when we got back out. It is easier to let the snow bring the animals down to the lower valley where you can get them out within a day.

Those pictures are great. Looks like an awsome place to hunt and camp or just to go in and enjoy. Sorry that the Captain got sick on you though.

Nice pics...did your friend know that he would that way after eating peanuts??? Good thing it didn't happen during hunting season. Sounds like you'll have to make plans to go again before hungting season.
Quick Draw

Back