Hands on Montana mulie antlers

Similar experience this season - seen a lot of small guys; the bigger ones just don't seem to be real active this season. Not sure if it's the weather or what, but I've seen almost exclusively 1.5-2.5 year olds over the past few weeks. Usually by now I've scoped out a number of good shooters. And it's not just public, either - the private pastures I spend some time on are pretty inactive this season, too. I've seen a lot more small bucks in pick up truck beds than I normally see, as well. Wish I had an explanation.

Similar experience this season - seen a lot of small guys; the bigger ones just don't seem to be real active this season. Not sure if it's the weather or what, but I've seen almost exclusively 1.5-2.5 year olds over the past few weeks. Usually by now I've scoped out a number of good shooters. And it's not just public, either - the private pastures I spend some time on are pretty inactive this season, too. I've seen a lot more small bucks in pick up truck beds than I normally see, as well. Wish I had an explanation.
I’d say drought every property I went on there was literally nothing to eat and cover was bare.maybe mg&f should limit the amount of grazing from cows,need to cut tags next few years for sure

Cut tags as in the general tag? Good luck with that. We will probably extend the season from lack of harvest
If you guys get a bad winter it’ll be years of recovery,I found 3 mule deer does that died from ehd! Guess sometimes it’s all about $$$ if they don’t reduce tags!

If you guys get a bad winter it’ll be years of recovery,I found 3 mule deer does that died from ehd! Guess sometimes it’s all about $$$ if they don’t reduce tags!
100% agree. But I know with 100% certainty that Montana will not touch the general tag. Even with Montana’s population growing by 2,000+ hunters a year

I’d say drought every property I went on there was literally nothing to eat and cover was bare.maybe mg&f should limit the amount of grazing from cows,need to cut tags next few years for sure
Some of the worst stuff you will see wasn’t even grazed this year. Grasshoppers did the most damage. I’m hoping for a bad winter. If we don’t have any deer maybe less people will come to eastern Montana in November.

Some of the worst stuff you will see wasn’t even grazed this year. Grasshoppers did the most damage. I’m hoping for a bad winter. If we don’t have any deer maybe less people will come to eastern Montana in November.
Hell might as well hope everything dies for the next 10 years on all properties

They let the 73 Ranch graze the CMR due to their stupid decisions. Cows everywhere, no feed… piles of miles led to seeing three 2.5 year old bucks and a handful of does. Whitetails we’re thin too, and the elk were right next to the only water. The Harris Ranch (good people in my experience) had recorded 3/8 of rain for the year…, worst drought in recorded history. There were broken antlers everywhere.

16.5 foot miles yesterday into some very remote and good county. Not 1 deer, I could've shot elk all day long.

#nodeerleft
#cantwaitfordecember
#whatarewedoing
I put on about the same amount of miles in a LE elk unit. Seen 7 deer maybe and 4 elk. Did find a cool trap hanging in a tree though with a guys trap tag on it that hasn’t been in that country in over a decade.

Back