Caribou Gear Tarp

Hands free cliff climbing rigs?

squirrel

Well mountain goat tag #6 showed top in the mail so it's official now. Top priority is lard reduction but I also need a better way to have my hands free while scaling cliffs to get close. To say the days of one handed pull-ups is over for me would be a gross understatement. (even a two handed may be delusional) I'm still on the fence of having an over my back quiver full of a take-down recurve and arrows to be assembled as needed. I will almost certainly puss out on this idea and slum it with my compound as I have history of doing just that at crunch time.

What on-your-back systems are you guys using and what do you like/dislike about them? My unit is the roughest of the rough and protection of the string/sights will be paramount after keeping my hands free for climbing.

Any pics or feedback on pro's and con's of different systems would be appreciated.

Isn’t hands free cliff climbing called falling?

In all seriousness, I have an eberlestock pack that I had while I was in the army that had the gun pouch. It wasn’t centered and whenever I carried a long gun it, it drove me nuts. It didn’t matter how tight I got the straps the pack would never sit right on my back. It would be cocked to one side, no matter what. Ive strapped my recurve and longbow centered on my pack with some molle straps that had clips that ran around the frame or just around my day pack. The key there was to just make sure it was tight so it wouldn’t move. It always made me nervous, I could always see myself going ass over teakettle and having a broadhead through my cheek.

I don’t know if this was helpful or not, but I would have your bow centered and really tight. Or get so boiling pissed you’ll want to hammer throw your pack and bow of the side of said cliffs.
Good luck,
Zach

A good bow sleeve that cover strings and cams. HHA bow sight cover. Then I strap it to my pack with the cross straps that cinch my pack down. I also strap it so my sight is tucked up under the top cover pouch of my pack. And if you fall where ur going I think the bow will be your last concern.

And if you fall where ur going I think the bow will be your last concern.
I've taken some pretty good falls in there when I was young and way more bouncy, and yes it is very surprising how little concern it is. But after the personal injury assessment it becomes very important how many straight arrows you have left when the nearest replacement is 5+ days of hard hiking away. Sorry but what is an HHA cover for the sight?

Yesterday was a white out blizzard day and I played with packs/bows/arrows seeing how different components could be combined. That t/d recurve is looking REALLY good right about now.

Hit up the Princess to sew me up a custom "bow-in-a-bag" set up using features from several pieces of equipment, double rifle sling for center balance, a "pouch" similar to my Take down 10/.22 ruger bag with limb and riser compartments. She of course, was overjoyed at my presenting her with all my ideas upon her arrival home after her 13 hr day. But in spite of her excitement she feigned outrage. I made it up to her by letting her cook dinner.

I typically strap my bow to my pack (Exo4800), and haven't had any issues. It stays balanced and straight enough (for me), if i strap it on straight enough and tight enough. I shoot a compound, so my issues would be different than if I were using a recurve bow. It's super low tech as I just use the compression straps to secure it to the pack. Exo sells a cam holder style bow carrier that you strap to the pack, but I have a short compound bow and haven't seemed to need it. It's certainly not a quick drawl type of deal, but I'm not sure that is what your looking for.

I haven't purchased one yet but have recently been intrigued by the Bow Spider. It seems to check some of the boxes for multiple uses (quick deployment, can mount in various ways ect.). I especially like that you can strap it to the back of the pack or the hip belt. It seems that when it's attached to the hip belt a hunter could use the bow to help stabilize binos and this would be quicker and less movement than getting out a tripod or other device. I couldn't find out the weight of the product and don't now how secure it is. You'll have to look at the video, but it seems like a quick release system to get you all ninja like with the mountain goat quick.

I can not figure out how much the thing weighs so if your counting ounces, you may want to look into that further as well. I figured that I would eventually see one demonstrated at a trade show so I could try it out first but haven't gotten around to that.

In short, i don't know how well this thing works yet but I was thinking along the same lines. Figured I'd pass it along.

From the website:

Universal bow packing system fits any bow and affixes to any pack, hip, tree, wall, or car for storage and access. It comes with a Receiver, 2 Load Lifter Straps, 1 Waist/Tree Belt, 4 Corner Screws, 1 Anodized Aluminum Post, 1 Long Mounting Screw, and 4 Long Corner Screws. This system is great for any bowhunter or competitive archer. You can easily stow your bow while you hike, stalk, or stand.

Review from website:

This past year I came across this new product, The Bow Spider. Most of the time, I’m fairly skeptical of new products but not this time. My initial thought here, “Game-changer!” As a back country bow hunter my bow is normally strapped to my pack as I’m attempting to handle the terrain from point A to point B. Sure, not carrying your bow in your hands saves on arm fatigue and/or banging your bow across the trees and rocks, but your not ready when that opportunity, the one you’ve trained all year for, presents itself. The Bow Spider is the solution. With its simple design, being able to reach back and slide my bow off my pack and be ready in seconds is worth its weight in gold to me. Then as every hunter knows, not all opportunities work out. Just reach back and slide the bow back onto the pack ensures I can get back to covering ground quickly and keep looking for that trophy. The Bow Spider is a must have and might just give you that advantage that you need. -Terry Nelson-
Instagram @tnelson_wy_13

Attachments

• 1620829072683.png
    1620829072683.png
    540.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've taken some pretty good falls in there when I was young and way more bouncy, and yes it is very surprising how little concern it is. But after the personal injury assessment it becomes very important how many straight arrows you have left when the nearest replacement is 5+ days of hard hiking away. Sorry but what is an HHA cover for the sight?

Yesterday was a white out blizzard day and I played with packs/bows/arrows seeing how different components could be combined. That t/d recurve is looking REALLY good right about now.

Hit up the Princess to sew me up a custom "bow-in-a-bag" set up using features from several pieces of equipment, double rifle sling for center balance, a "pouch" similar to my Take down 10/.22 ruger bag with limb and riser compartments. She of course, was overjoyed at my presenting her with all my ideas upon her arrival home after her 13 hr day. But in spite of her excitement she feigned outrage. I made it up to her by letting her cook dinner.
The Wallenda?

I typically strap my bow to my pack (Exo4800), and haven't had any issues. It stays balanced and straight enough (for me), if i strap it on straight enough and tight enough. I shoot a compound so my issues would be different than if I were using a recurve bow. It's super low tech as I just use the compression straps to secure it to the pack. Exo sells a cam holder style bow carrier that you strap to the pack, but I have a short compound bow and haven't seemed to need it. It's certainly not a quick drawl type of deal, but I'm not sure that is what your looking for.

I haven't purchased one yet but have recently been intrigued by the Bow Spider. It seems to check some of the boxes for multiple uses (quick deployment, can mount in various ways ect.). I especially like that you can strap it to the back of the pack or the hip belt. It seems that when it's attached to the hip belt a hunter could use the bow to help stabilize binos and this would be quicker and less movement than getting out a tripod or other device. I couldn't find out the weight of the product and don't now how secure it is. You'll have to look at the video, but it seems like a quick release system to get you all ninja like with the mountain goat quick.

I can not figure out how much the thing weighs so if your counting ounces, you may want to look into that further as well. I figured that I would eventually see one demonstrated at a trade show so I could try it out first but haven't gotten around to that.

In short, i don't know how well this thing works yet but I was thinking along the same lines. Figured I'd pass it along.

From the website:

Universal bow packing system fits any bow and affixes to any pack, hip, tree, wall, or car for storage and access. It comes with a Receiver, 2 Load Lifter Straps, 1 Waist/Tree Belt, 4 Corner Screws, 1 Anodized Aluminum Post, 1 Long Mounting Screw, and 4 Long Corner Screws. This system is great for any bowhunter or competitive archer. You can easily stow your bow while you hike, stalk, or stand.

Review from website:

This past year I came across this new product, The Bow Spider. Most of the time, I’m fairly skeptical of new products but not this time. My initial thought here, “Game-changer!” As a back country bow hunter my bow is normally strapped to my pack as I’m attempting to handle the terrain from point A to point B. Sure, not carrying your bow in your hands saves on arm fatigue and/or banging your bow across the trees and rocks, but your not ready when that opportunity, the one you’ve trained all year for, presents itself. The Bow Spider is the solution. With its simple design, being able to reach back and slide my bow off my pack and be ready in seconds is worth its weight in gold to me. Then as every hunter knows, not all opportunities work out. Just reach back and slide the bow back onto the pack ensures I can get back to covering ground quickly and keep looking for that trophy. The Bow Spider is a must have and might just give you that advantage that you need. -Terry Nelson-
Instagram @tnelson_wy_13
They had a booth at TAC in Texas. They are lightweight composite. Probably not enough to notice it there. The more securely it is attached the easier to get the bow out. You have to tilt the bow then pull, not straight out, so if the thing isn’t attached securely some of the people I saw needed help getting the bow off their back. Not like the guy in the promo video. On a belt they were rock solid though. Would be amazing in a stand. Only draw back I saw was the metal stud coming off the side of the bow, not horrible but it’s something.

P.S. I don't know this guy (It's from the website), but thought that the picture was relevant to the OP stated purpose :)

1620830544218.png

Also, I don't have a picture but my buddy shoots a recurve and his sister sewed him a case with left over material from making curtains in their cabin. Looks like hell, its not ninja quick to pull out, but it works.

Last edited:
I find a couple of ski straps to be a cheap and easy way to get a bow tight on a pack, goat hunting definitely makes the hands free thing come up more than anything else I have done, I used the bow jammed in cracks as a handhold quite a bit when I was goat hunting though so there is that option... I'm guessing I was in the same area about 14 years ago, it actually got me into rock climbing so I would feel more comfortable next time I got the tag, still waiting for the tag, still rock climb 5-7 days a week...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back