Handgun for snakes and bears?

I'd bypass the gimic guns and go to a regular revolver with birdshot. I like the S&W model 69 in 44mag, or model 66 in 357. Both are mid-size frames, nice weight and size and won't beat you up too bad.

I have a 329PD in 44, lighter than the 69, but bigger frame, and bigger all the way around. Brutal to shoot, a dream to pack.

IMO if you have time to draw a weapon on a snake you really aren't in any danger. A 22 works pretty good on snakes.

For bears, the only reason I pack a gun is so I have a chance to shoot it off me, or shoot myself.

Stick and bear spray.;) Much cheaper.:D

Because to shoot at him you must already know he is there so just walk away. The ones you need to worry about are the ones you don't see and a pistola won't help you kill those ones.

My advice as well. Took me many years to carry bear spray instead of a handgun archery hunting. I've carried a Mod 57 .41, 329 .44 and glock 20 10mm. Spray is much lighter and imo more effective. We avg seeing a bear every other day where I elk hunt.

As for snakes I just leave them be for the reason elkmagnet mentioned. My sister was bit on the toe by a baby diamond back while walking across a lawn after dark on the Colorado river in AZ. My dad and buddy had just enough to drink to find it by flashlight.

Baby snakes have more potent venom and use it all compared to older snakes that strike in defense we found out by the Dr. Got her to Blythe hospital in 20 min and later that night her leg was swollen 2x and black and blue. Looked horrendous. She ended up on crutches for a few months.

I appreciate the handgun recommendations. I believe I will head to town and have a hard look at different models of .357 magnum pistols, as that seems to come very close to my purposes. As for you that like snakes, your suggestions are falling on deaf ears. I've been around snakes all my life (nearly 5 decades). I don't like them and if a rattle snake makes its presence known to me, it dies. It's that simple and no amount of preaching is going to change that. I'm hard wired to kill them. If you want to love'em and leave'em alone, more power to you, but that doesn't have any affect on my choice of outcome for rattle snakes.

I hear you, one of the two reasons I carry a shovel in my truck. Funny because I usually stop and carry a bull snake off of the road so he doesn't get hurt. Farmers kid in me I guess.
I was just saying if you are really worried about your safety a rattler won't likely chase you if you leave. I have only ever see one chase me and he was in the middle of a res. and really wanted on the boat. Gotta love owyhee!

I'm not overly worried about safety or being chased by a snake. The pistol is not for snake protection, but rather snake elimination. As for bears or two-legged vermin the pistol would then take on the role of protection more than anything. Same gun, two different purposes.

On a side note, while I don't like any snake I usually give most snakes a pass, but rattle snakes are not on the "pass list". The no pass list also includes stray cats and coyotes.

That being said. For all those purposes, a .357 Mag is probably the best option. 180gr or 200gr Hardcast for 4 legged predators in the States, 125gr Gold Dots in .357 or .38 +P for 2 legged predators, and .38 Bird Shot for the reptiles... Also... a 125gr Gold Dot would absolutely wreck a coyote provided you can put the metal on the meat.

I carry a Smith PC 327 TRR8 5" N frame 8 shot .357. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765661_-1_775660_775655_757896_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y Only downside to this rig, is it can be difficult to find a good holster for a 5" instead of a 4 or 6" tube.

snakes will strike at the bullet,because it puts out heat,and snake is good eating.:hump:

Back