Caribou Gear

Hammock - pros, cons, options, thoughts...

I like them for certain things but they are not a panacea, just as no shelter is. My daughter always sleeps in one camping. I am a big fan of Warbonnet Outdoors hammocks, I use a blackbird but as others have said there is a learning curve. My daughter uses a bridge hammock, a style that uses two short (light) poles and feels like a bed. Underquilts are nice and in my opinion necessary in a gathered end hammock, but in a bridge hammock its easy to use a thermarest you already have. Search "Shug and hammocks" and you'll find videos by a great guy named Shug Emory (?) that are informative and entertaining.
I would absolutely try to borrow and try one first, although it is easy and very cheap to make your own simple gathered end hammock to try. But bridge hammocks are way way easier at first for most people.
As for weather, with a sil-nylon tarp it is basically no issue.

I have used a Hennessy Hammock for a elk hunt. It’s very comfortable and best sleep ever. You will really need to pack for warmth because they sleep cold. They are great for mid day naps but you will need a light blanket even in moderate temps with a breeze/wind. I have never used it during bad weather but they are actually really nice

Back