Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hammer Hunter 214's

SCliving Outdoors

The Tikka I built a couple years ago is a 1/8 twist. I built it for 200gr bullets, but I've been shooting 180's bc I couldn't find exactly what I want for 200's. My friend shoots the Hammers with good success out of his 300 Norma. I was wondering if anyone has used the Hammer Hunter 214's out of a 300 win mag. I worried they might be too long for a 300win. I think the 199's would work well but the 214's have me curious.

214s eats too much of the internal capacity. They are massive bullets. Use either 181s or 199s with that twist. Steve talked me out of it a few years ago based on his experience. I'm using 180s since the 181s wouldn't stabilize in my 1:10 (sometimes rifles are moody about that specific design) but if I could use the 199s I'd use them.

I shoot the 199 HH in my .300 PRC with great results, but the PRC is designed to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets, the WM isn't. With the 199 and 214 you're going to end up with the bullet sitting well back into the powder column, unless you're going to cut a longer freebore into your chamber, then single feed it.

If you're going through all that trouble, you might as well rebarrel and chamber it for a PRC.

I shoot the 199 HH in my .300 PRC with great results, but the PRC is designed to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets, the WM isn't. With the 199 and 214 you're going to end up with the bullet sitting well back into the powder column, unless you're going to cut a longer freebore into your chamber, then single feed it.

If you're going through all that trouble, you might as well rebarrel and chamber it for a PRC.
That's why I mentioned the 196. Problem solved. mtmuley

SAAMI1.jpg

@mtmuley the 196gr is a better option, but I don't see it as a problem solved. Granted, COAL can be fudged to fit the magazine and push the ogive closer to the lands, but just going off the SAAMI spec for the cartridge COAL of 3.340" - 1.55" (bullet length) puts the base of the bullet at 1.85" from the flash hole, well past the shoulder and into the powder column.

I'm sure there's plenty of guys that do it, but like you pointed out, get the 181 or 180 in there going muy rapido and enjoy the terminal ballistics Hammers are made for.

How you feeling? Back on your feet yet?

In the rear view I get a bigger box inletted & Wyatt box'd for 196 or 199 Hammers for the 30 RUM, but it sends 181's @3280 & lives with Ken Jr now. It shot the heavies 'ok' but it overlaps the 181's & at that speed it's hitting hard terminal end.

View attachment 262090

@mtmuley the 196gr is a better option, but I don't see it as a problem solved. Granted, COAL can be fudged to fit the magazine and push the ogive closer to the lands, but just going off the SAAMI spec for the cartridge COAL of 3.340" - 1.55" (bullet length) puts the base of the bullet at 1.85" from the flash hole, well past the shoulder and into the powder column.

I'm sure there's plenty of guys that do it, but like you pointed out, get the 181 or 180 in there going muy rapido and enjoy the terminal ballistics Hammers are made for.

How you feeling? Back on your feet yet?
If he wants a heavy without changing his rifle, that's where he's at. I already said I reccomend the 181. When I chose to rebarrel, most were dumbfounded I wasn't extending my magazine. With what I doing I don't need to. Sorry for the sour attitude. 3 days in ICU and 3 more stuck here so far, but yeah, feeling better. mtmuley

You should be able to get the 181s to about 3200fps (3300 if you really push it) over a stout charge of RL26. It turns the rifle into a serious pewpew. I do need to back off my charge because it's just too hot.

RL23 or the new StabalHD would be an option and if you can find it H1000 works great.

I see no reason to use a 214 hammer in anything. It has a slightly lower BC than a 180 cutting edge lazer which you could push way faster. With the monos you don't need the sectional density for penetration like a cup and core bullet pushed fast.

I don't see a good reason for using heavy for caliber monos with low form factors (BC for weight) which pretty much all hammers are. If one is going to say they are for PBR and don't worry about BC, ok, then no need to go heavy for caliber.

Edit to add: in a factory tikka magazine, any long 30 cal bullet is going to eat up some space because you cant load em long.

Last edited:
@SCliving Outdoors, are you using the factory magazine? I was just wondering about your max COAL. If you are limited to loading to 3.34”, I think you would have to seat part of the nose of a 181 HH into the neck. And, the nose of the 214 HH appears to be much longer.

I tried the HH 214's in my 300 win mag, but they were too long. Went with the HH 199's and never looked back.

76 grains of N565 have me at 3100 ft/s out of my 1:8 twist barrel and they group as tight as any rifle I own.

I tried the HH 214's in my 300 win mag, but they were too long. Went with the HH 199's and never looked back.

76 grains of N565 have me at 3100 ft/s out of my 1:8 twist barrel and they group as tight as any rifle I own.
That is darn good velocity. What length barrel? I am averaging 3088 fps with a 24” 30 Nosler and RL26.

That is darn good velocity. What length barrel? I am averaging 3088 fps with a 24” 30 Nosler and RL26.
26 inch barrel for me.

I was pushing faster with a little higher powder grain, but this load grouped the best and still had more than enough power behind it.

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate it.

Here are some specs on my gun bc some guys have been asking.
My mag is a Mountain tactical mag. COAL is 3.4"
22" carbon six barrel. 2" straight jacket muzzle brake.
Currently I shoot Federal Premium 180gr Accubonds @ 2790 out of my gun. They shoot well just under 3/4" moa.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back