Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hacking the List...

shhh.gif

shhh.gif

shhh.gif

The above "sounds of silence" was Moosie realizing he FORGOT to put ToothPaste, Sleeping Pad, and tent on the list...
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
shhh.gif

Alright.. truth be known I brought about 2 oz of Mouthwash.. Is it needed ? Hell, I got tootpaste (A small one). I'm at 6 Oz with all mine and My dads Mouth Hygene stuff.

3oz. Shampoo
4 oz. (1 roll) Butt Wipe
12 oz wet wipes ((x40) to make sure kling-ons are off
smile.gif

9 oz med cabinit (Advil,vicks sinex,P-jelly,anbesol,Visine,Qtips,Cough drops)

Is that alot ? I have Allergies and don't like being in missery
smile.gif

HAHA MY pad is a therma-RestUltra light (YAH RIGHT) at 1#13oz.

My tent is an Sierra Design 3 man Alpha 8# 10oz.

That being said, I did Buy the Footprint for it that weighs 16oz. I figures with the Moist floor it might be a good Idea ? true/false ?

Have your taxi restock you w/ T.P. Take a full roll for camp, and a 1/2 roll for your pack, that way you don't have to remember to put the butt wipe back in your pack when you use it at camp. Remember your changing your diet to Mountain Houses, besides you said your regular and a twice a day man.

Cut your toothbrush in 1/2, then drill out holes in the remainder.

What are you taking for cooking utensils? You should be somewhere along the lines of one spoon and one coffee cup (per person) and a pot, stove, and fuel (to share).

Ditch the ultra light pad and go to your local GIJOES or what ever surplus store. Buy one of those green foam pads, cut it in half. Save weight plus you can layer under the tent or whatever with leaves or moss ETC. Just no devil clubs.

True and False...

Remember I said to take items that can serve a dual purpose. Small blue tarps can be used for a footprint, shelter, a clean spread to lay meat, etc, etc....many uses for a blue tarp. You wouldn't use a footprint to make a shelter, and you wouldn't use it to toss meat on. Note: I wouldn't stick anything under your tent (or in it) that has come in contact with meat and blood...safety precaution for the bears.

I would of passed on the footprint.

I agree w/ Oscar, your pad weighs too much. Do as he said, or get a ridgerest and cut it in half. If you can't live without the extra padding, consider the one you have a luxory item. I hate to bust your bubble, but your tent weighs too much as well...BUT tis okay. My tent is the same size as yours, same brand, and almost half the weight of yours. Just something to think about when you purchase gear later. Ask yourself, is this something I might have to take on a limited weight trip?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-19-2003 23:33: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

I also tried to turn you on to the lighter tent, but tis okay...you still have a great tent, just heavier than I like.

I agree, once you lay a tarp for the footprint, your probably not going to use it for anything else other than a footprint through the duration of your hunt...so long as your tent doesn't move w/ you as you hunt. However, it is there if you need it...can be used to signal the pilot you are ready for p/u (you've got a sat phone though), can be used to cover up if it rains as your waiting for your ride out...etc, etc,. I get more use out of mine since I am pretty much packing up camp everyday and moving to another area.

I think your gonna do fine this trip, just giving you some food for thought for the future.

Uhhh I'm packing 3 tarps
eek.gif
eek.gif
I have 2 5'x7' ones (For meat and Hanging over the meat) (hopefully 2 moose) weight combined 1#7oz

And also a 8'x10' tarp to hang at base camp to sit under while at camp while it rains so We don't have to lay the whole time looking at the Cieling...

Plus the Footprint
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Why not take the large one for rain cover and the meat? Keep it away from your tent if you have meat. Worse case scenario, you have to walk from your tent to the tarp for cover? Ditch the other two small tarps...you'll buy yourself a few more ounces.

Actually, According to moosies plan he should ditch one of the smaller tarps. I told him to ditch the second tent and us a tarp for emegency reasons. He could use teh tarp that is being used to cover the meat as an emergency and hope no blood is on it. Its your call but I dont see a need for 3 tarps. Bring 2. use 1 as your footprint and the second for cover/meat protection.

Kinda like this??? C= maximum allowable weight

cy017.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-19-2003 23:59: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

HAH,... BUt I'm back now
wink.gif

I don't get the tarp thing.. Why use a tarp for a footprint if I OWN a footprint.. they weigh the same and the Footprint is a Coustom one...

On the Tarp, I hang, I can see hanging it up for a shelter, taking it down, Loading it with meat. take a couple days to get the meat out, Not have the Shelter back at camp then when we get one moose back shoot another then use that same tarp for that mose for a few days , then Hangit up all dripping in Blood and Sitting under it the last day
rolleyes.gif
elkgrin.gif

that's like Someone Clipping a $0.50 coupon and having 20k in Credit card debt, Sure ya saved 1/2 a dollar, but you're not gaining anything
wink.gif

I've never had a pilot actually weigh my gear. On one trip in a C185 on wheels, we crammed so much gear, and two hunters, into the plane I could barely fit in the back seat.

Since that mistake ($$$) I've learned to trim down some, like your doing now.

What kind of plane you flying in?

IMHO, pack your bags to the weight limit, then take all the extra goodies in another bag with you to the airfield. Let the pilot decide what can go. That's a long time in the field, and a few luxury items will go a long way towards making it an enjoyable hunt.

Back