Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

H.R. 8828 introduced -Leghold and conibear traps

Yes we should, the people ilegally trapping will stop if we make laws against it. Thats how we got everybody to quit using drugs
I guess that means we should give up on the rule of law altogether. Drunk-driving continues, robbery continues, fraud continues, tax evasion continues, murder continues, guess they should all be legalized to save ourselves all the trouble.

I guess that means we should give up on the rule of law altogether. Drunk-driving continues, robbery continues, fraud continues, tax evasion continues, murder continues, guess they should all be legalized to save ourselves all the trouble.
This complaint was a few bad-egg law breaking trappers. Murder wasnt outlawed because of a small number of people who were murdering unethically and illegally. Drunk driving wasnt outlawed due to a small number of people drunk driving unethically and ilegally. Trapping can be done responsibly.

And hes talking about people who are already breaking trapping laws. Outlawing more things done by law abiding people wont change that at all.

Outlawing more things done by law abiding people wont change that at all.
Although I do agree with the above statement, I do have to ask ... then why was murder and drunk driving outlawed?
IMO, murder and drunk driving are a poor analogy to trapping.

How do you ethically commit the crime of murder? How do you ethically drive drunk?

Although I do agree with the above statement, I do have to ask ... then why was murder and drunk driving outlawed?
IMO, murder and drunk driving are a poor analogy to trapping.

How do you ethically commit the crime of murder? How do you ethically drive drunk?
Thats exactly my point. I was pointing out that vikings guys analogy was absurd

I don't trap. I do not have a problem in general with the practice of trapping. I've never had a dog negatively impacted by it. I avoid areas if I know there is trapping occurring.

Trappers if they are paying any attention at all should realize they have an image problem. If their response to the scrutiny is to tell people to pound sand, that is a losing strategy. I don't (pun intended) have a dog in the fight.

I can see a day where trapping is severely restricted. Likely after my time has come and gone.

Thats exactly my point. I was pointing out that vikings guys analogy was absurd
My point was not to draw a moral equivalence between the various crimes, but rather to point out that "people will just break it anyway" is not a particularly useful path to go down. And for clarity sake, you are the one that drew the parallel to drug laws and trapping.

Also, in MN this is not about a "few rule breakers", it is about currently lawful equipment, used in currently lawful locations, in a currently lawful manner yet causing significant harm to our dog hunting (and general pet owning) colleages. So, many of us believe adaptation of the current regulatory framework needs to change.

My point was not to draw a moral equivalence between the various crimes, but rather to point out that "people will just break it anyway" is not a particularly useful path to go down. And for clarity sake, you are the one that drew the parallel to drug laws and trapping.

Also, in MN this is not about a "few rule breakers", it is about currently lawful equipment, used in currently lawful locations, in a currently lawful manner yet causing significant harm to our dog hunting (and general pet owning) colleages. So, many of us believe adaptation of the current regulatory framework needs to change.
Why not enforce leash laws already on the books? That would take care of the majority of this very small issue.

I just read the Minnesota Trapping Regulations. As a 30 plus year trapper and a VP of the UPTA that has worked with our DNR and NRC persons for nine years on trapping regulations, there are three small changes that I feel should be changed to bring balance to dog hunters and trappers.
2 on page 49 and 1 on page 51.

You can PM me for those if you are interested.

Just because you haven't or can't do it doesn't make it so.
I can put in a blind trail bodygrip set in 30 seconds without getting in a hurry. That is without using an h-stand or bracket. Add one of those in the mix and that cuts it down to even less.

How long does it take to put in a leaning pole set from start to finish?

As far as the effectiveness goes on bobcats, how much time does a bobcat spend with it’s feet on the ground compared to 6-8 feet off the ground?

Numbers don’t lie. Find a cat trapper that catches good numbers of cats in their area using elevated sets. Bet ya can’t.

Back to the subject at hand.

My whole life I have seen trapping rights whittled away. I can remember hearing my great grandpa and grandpa talking about it when I was young and the anti fur movement was firing up. Trapping is always the sacrificial lamb. What is the saddest part of it is that a lot of the time it has been other outdoorsman holding the knife.

If you want to see a good example of the tyranny of the majority look no further than trapping laws in many States.

I don’t have all the answers or much of any for that matter. All I know as a 4th generation trapper who raised a 5th, it is a sad state of affairs.

I am lucky to live where I do. We have 2 trapping laws on the books. No teeth on traps and traps must be checked once every 24 hours.

Works fine for us.

I can put in a blind trail bodygrip set in 30 seconds without getting in a hurry. That is without using an h-stand or bracket. Add one of those in the mix and that cuts it down to even less.

How long does it take to put in a leaning pole set from start to finish?

As far as the effectiveness goes on bobcats, how much time does a bobcat spend with it’s feet on the ground compared to 6-8 feet off the ground?

Numbers don’t lie. Find a cat trapper that catches good numbers of cats in their area using elevated sets. Bet ya can’t.
The logger I previously bought firewood from was one of the better trappers in the county I lived in. He used elevated sets for bob cats exclusively.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back