Gutless method

My buddy got his moose out by himself also.

I watched the gutless method once, but he didn't skin it, just cut off the quarters and put them on a horse.

Thanks for posting the instructions.
Might have to try it. I would de-bone the meat as I am my own horse.

WHo cares, it would take you two hrs to pack the damn head on that monster out:)LOL.............Nice work Bambi.

Almost every elk i do now is gutless to it would have likely been done that way, however, it is easier to move a big brute around when his guts are out..........

In other words im no help:)

after reading all of this, I now remember why I hunt whitetails. easy to get on the back of the 4-wheeler. or throw a loop around its neck and you're good to go. hang them in the barn, and get to cutting. did buy one of those two wheel carts to haul things on. would they be worth a darn for hauling elk?

An elk hind quarter weighs as much as a whole whitetail down here, but less than those up north.

I met some retired Navy guys hunting in Idaho who had a long cable and huge winch in the back of their pickup. They would loop and elk and ride him up the hill as the pickup drug him up. I don't know how often they could use it but they did use it.

I guess the reason I asked was because I had a hell of a time cutting the hind quarters off while trying to hold them up. I got it done, but was totally worn out when I was finished taking care of him.

Waste of time, not to gut!

By law, in Idaho, you have to take ALL the rib meat to include meat between ribs out. Which means you are going to run a knife down each side of rib and I don't like puncturing gut. I'll keep gutting mine. The game warden around these parts will look in your game bags for rib meat and if it's not there, you get to hike back in or pay a fine.

I've packed five bulls out of the Sawtooth in the past 4 years, 3 by myself. I will NOT carry it, unless I eat it. Of course, the horns are pretty good eating too...:D

I prefer to gut, tie legs up if possible, skin one side at a time from belly up, debone left or right side, and throw in game bags. I debone were it lays! I keep front quarter, 1/2 neck, backstrap in one bag. Rear quarter, tenderloins in one bag and repeat for other side. Them bones way a ton, leave them in the field.

I don't think we've packed out bone since the big bull across two canyons in 1999. Took three of us two days to get that one out. Now we just start trimming where ever that rascal lays. No bone makes for a lighter load.

Amen to that, Brother!

Amen to leaving the bones for coyote bait. I helped a guy who wanted to take racks of ribs out. I simply told him, "I ain't carrying them" Told him them bones taste like crap. He argued so I carved meat off one side of ribs and put it in two of his hands and told him to keep that weight registered in his mind. I then cut side of ribs off and he said Oh (*#$# NO I ain't carrying that. Made for a quick decision! I debone everything were it lays to include deer, a big mule deer buck fits nicely in a Alaskan II.

Looks like you have pleanty of opinions on the "boneless/gutless" method. After reading about it over on Bowsite, I tried it on my Az buck last Nov. I'll never go back.
If I can't load it in a truck whole, I'll go gutless.

If it's coming out on my back, I'm leaving all the bones on the hill. If it's getting near dark, I may consider gutting it and coming back the next morning to bone it. IMO, they are much easier to skin the sooner you get it started.

Back