Gutless Method Versus Tradtional Gutting

Chuck99

Understanding there is no right answer to this question but would love to get your guys feedback. I was always taught the traditional gutting meeting. Is there a big advantages of doing the gutless method when you are in the field? I can see it is cleaner and less of a risk cutting the intestines. Is there any other advantages doing the method?

The meat cools quicker and is much easier to get out of the field. You also aren't left with a carcass you need to dispose of after you get done butchering.

It all depends on where I am at. Example:

Last season I shot my spike elk about a mile back through some think stuff. I was alone, no way to "drag" the entire animal out/back to camp. Gutless worked for me.

During the late season Archery deer hunt I was able to harvest my buck within spitting distance of some farm roads. I was able to drag him to the edge, and load him whole into my pickup. I then drove out to a different area more prone to shoot coyotes and gut him there. Took him home and hung him up. I was just much faster to gut verse de-bone gutless on this one.

It all depends on where I am at. Example:

Last season I shot my spike elk about a mile back through some think stuff. I was alone, no way to "drag" the entire animal out/back to camp. Gutless worked for me.

During the late season Archery deer hunt I was able to harvest my buck within spitting distance of some farm roads. I was able to drag him to the edge, and load him whole into my pickup. I then drove out to a different area more prone to shoot coyotes and gut him there. Took him home and hung him up. I was just much faster to gut verse de-bone gutless on this one.

That's about how I operate as well. Depending on who I'm with, what I've shot, and how far it is from the road determines how the critter is coming out.

I've killed antelope and upon driving up to the carcass I still proceed to use the gutless method but on my tailgate. It's cleaner and you have to break down the carcass sooner or later anyways.

I don't know how to gut but I taught an older friend who has gutted deer all his life and he was blown away. After processing the cow elk he just kept loudly exclaiming how much better gutless was and spent the rest of his trip reading up and watching Youtube on gutless method.

I just use the gut shark no big deal hands stay clean no risk of cutting yourself.

Anyone cut up a bull moose using gutless? I have a tag this fall and may be solo so assume some rope to stabilize things is part of the solution.

I'll never gut a animal again. Done a few deer elk and lopes gutless its way cleaner and your hands barely get bloody. It also cools the meat faster which relates to better taste. I always have a cold cooler along for the meat. If I could drive up to the animal I would still do gutless

Yup, last year on BC, I harvested a bull moose and that's how he took it apart gutless! Up there they like to get the carcass intact because of grizzlies and wolves! Only thing is I missed out on moose ribs!

Yup, last year on BC, I harvested a bull moose and that's how he took it apart gutless! Up there they like to get the carcass intact because of grizzlies and wolves! Only thing is I missed out on moose ribs!

Do you recall how many pounds were carried out? Leg bones packed out or left?

What about the tenderloins that run along the spine inside of the carcass??? This is some of the best meat. Do you just chalk it up to a loss and leave it behind? I also like to eat the heart as well. Any suggestions of retrieving these items if you do use the gutless method?

What about the tenderloins that run along the spine inside of the carcass??? This is some of the best meat. Do you just chalk it up to a loss and leave it behind? I also like to eat the heart as well. Any suggestions of retrieving these items if you do use the gutless method?

You can get at them. You go in behind the last rib and you can almost use your fingers to separate the tenderloins from along the spine. you just have to be careful not to puncture the stomach, try moving the carcass so the spine is uphill, it will take some of the upward pressure off of the stomach and give you some more room.

As for the heart, we just crack a couple of ribs and go in from the side.

Anyone cut up a bull moose using gutless? I have a tag this fall and may be solo so assume some rope to stabilize things is part of the solution.

I've done two bull moose from the BWCA in Minnesota with the gutless method. Both times there were two of us. They are huge animals and it would be tough to do one yourself, but I have no doubt that it could be done with some rope and a bit of ingenuity. Just don't shoot one in a swamp. We always get the rib meat and inside tenderloins out. It's super easy. The last thing we do is go in through the side and grab the heart and liver.

0114.jpg

Last edited:
Just be aware that it isn't necessarily the best way to cool off the meat.
In order to reduce weight to be packed, some hunters "bone" the meat. That is, they remove all edible meat off the bones, legs, and spine. The problem with boning is that chunks of meat placed together in a game bag are harder to keep cool and clean. In some game management units in Alaska, it is illegal to bone the meat because of a local history of wasted meat.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.meatcare

Just be aware that it isn't necessarily the best way to cool off the meat.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.meatcare

That page is talking about boning out meat, not necessarily the gutless method.

I actually am not a fan of boning out meat, but I do like the gutless method for separating quarters and getting them cooling. A big sack of boned out meat is a recipe for spoilage if you aren't careful.

I can't even comment on the gut shark it's so ridiculous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back