Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gunsmiths don’t use a torque wrench?!

Honestly, over torquing (short of over stretching the screw), shouldn't affect anything as far as the scope mounting. If it does, something is wrong with one of your components anyways.

LOL, dead wrong. You can absolutely pinch the tube on a scope, compressing the internals and reducing the scope's ability to return to zero/hold a group.

I've had properly torqued screws pinch the internals and ruin a scope with bad Talley's.

The proper torque is much less than people think when they're used to just tightening until the screw starts to strip and then calling it good. Buy a torque screwdriver and do it right.

I've never understood such people, I'd rather buy a torque wrench for fifty bucks and be sure that my sight will be all right and it will not squint and stray. Yes, if the rifle is old and the sight is not expensive, and you shoot at random, and do not aim, then you can twist your hands and nothing terrible will happen, but in my case, where everything is very expensive, I would not want to risk it. Repair of the sight will definitely cost more than a torque wrench, so I will not save on this. Before buying, I read the comparisons of different types here https://ballachy.com/best-gunsmith-screwdriver-set/. And now I always take my own set of tools with me when hunting, because I take great care of my belongings, and even more so with such an expensive rifle.

Last edited:
Mounting a scope is simple. Fat wrenches (torque wrench) are cheap. There is no reason to have a scope mounted by a shop unless you have already verified exactly where that scope needs to be mounted and marked it for the shop. You're having (possibly paying) someone else to do a job that they can't possibly do as well as you could do yourself.

This link posted on the first page is gold for an explanation on mounting scopes so they stay put. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../scope-mounting-to-maintain-zero#Post12367363

LOL, dead wrong. You can absolutely pinch the tube on a scope, compressing the internals and reducing the scope's ability to return to zero/hold a group.
yep. Happens all the time and especially with the light weight scopes folks around here are likely to use on their hunting rifles.

Most people over-tighten fasteners. Torque wrenches prevent that. Provided the specs / sequence are followed.
If you’re not measuring, you’re guessing.

Back