Gunnison Basin update

Thanks for posting. I thought that was well presented. I'm surprised they're still going for a 35-40 bucks per 100 does from the 2013 objective. I had assumed they were trying to lower that with the new late dates but maybe not.

Thanks for posting. I thought that was well presented. I'm surprised they're still going for a 35-40 bucks per 100 does from the 2013 objective. I had assumed they were trying to lower that with the new late dates but maybe not.
The late dates were set by appointed wildlife commissioners, not wildlife managers.

The late dates were set by appointed wildlife commissioners, not wildlife managers.
Got it. I thought I read an explanation of it being to get the buck to doe ratio down which didn't seem like the case in the video.

Oak, thanks so much for posting this. It is in essence a short course in how herds are managed through fluctuating mild and bad winters, not specific to just the Gunnison basin. I wonder what is limiting the elk recruitment south of Hwy 50, where deer herds are booming. CWD has not been found in deer herds in the Gunnison basin, so evidently increased buck tag allocation is not being used as a tool against CWD there. There will be lots of yearling deer this fall.

I’d be a little surprised if the commission actually raises the number of buck tags. They’ll hear plenty of feedback on that.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back