Gun weight vs accuracy/confidence

Stocker

I’m heading to Idaho this year for an OTC elk hunt in some steep and deep terrain. I like to go light and move around a lot.

My dilemma comes down to my rifle. I custom built a 6.5 Creedmoor for long range shooting. I have a Burris 5x25 scope on it and I shoot it well to 1000+ yards. That said I am NOT a long range hunter. I get as close as possible and most likely will not take a shot over 500 yards unless the conditions are perfect, and then 600 would be tops. At 500 yards I can shoot a tight softball sized group, so I am very confident with it. The issue is it weighs about double of my Ruger M77 7mm Mag. I shoot the 7mag well, but not near as good of groups out at 4-500 yards.

I hate missing, but I hate wounding animals more.

I’m leaning toward carrying the 6.5. I guess I’m just looking for re assurance that the weight is worth it.

Personally, I never minded a bit of extra weight. I always think that the heavier rifles are more stable, when it comes to the shot. Personal preference, but I always figured that if a bit more weight was a game changer, then I should have gotten in better shape. I hiked a lot of mountains over the years with fairly heavy rifles, and they never kept me from my mission.

Bring what you shoot well; if you had more trips to play with you could change up the rifle and figure out what works best for you.

I would also add you should look at the minimum velocity needed for your choice of bullet to expand properly. I think you'll find for that caliber its quite a bit less than 500 (just playing with rough numbers).

I own both. Leave the Creedmoor at home!! It doesn’t have enough energy to cleanly put a elk down. I’ve shot three with it using a 140g accubond. I will never do it again, all 3 took a couple rounds, none of them were quick kills. That’s why I stepped up to a 7mm mag. Leave it at home, and you only need to put it in a 8” pie plate, no need for a softball size group. Elk have a large killzone.

the only wapiti(nz 3x3) ive shot was with a 6.5/204 using a 125 partition,,easiest kill u could imagine,,that said i now hunt with a 300 wsm

NZ wapiti are not US elk. US elk are considerably tougher critters, and bigger without red deer introgression. Leave the prairie dog gun at home. Make the 7mm shoot better.

I own both. Leave the Creedmoor at home!! It doesn’t have enough energy to cleanly put a elk down. I’ve shot three with it using a 140g accubond. I will never do it again, all 3 took a couple rounds, none of them were quick kills. That’s why I stepped up to a 7mm mag. Leave it at home, and you only need to put it in a 8” pie plate, no need for a softball size group. Elk have a large killzone.

Don’t say the E word! You’ll bring out the flat earthers...

You won’t regret the 7mm and a 400 yard range in my opinion.

I'd vote for the 7mm. The 6.5 is a great deer and antelope round. Can it kill elk yes, but there are much better options such as a 7mm. I watched a guy last year have to shoot an elk 5 times before it went down last year and it was with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Given the questions you are asking I presume you haven't hunted elk before/hiked in the terrain you will be hunting?

You can certainly kill an elk with a 6.5 pushing a stout bullet put in the right spot. The bullet having enough speed/energy to perform at some of the distances you mention is what concerns me more than the weight of your rifle. Shooting at live elk in the mountains is a boat load different than shooting at steel on a flat range in NE. Shooting an elk at 500+ is not something to be cavalier about, especially when you are depending on experience only marginally related to the task at hand. You are already going to be pushing your personal limits of experience with the species and terrain, do yourself a favor and give yourself plenty of room for error in the shooting department.

If I were you I would take the 7mm and keep it closer to 300yds.

Have a great time.

I’d carry the lighter rifle regardless of which caliber it was (7mm or Creed). It doesn’t matter what caliber your rifle is if you’re too tired to climb into a shooting situation.

Leave the Cripplemoor at home and go with the 7 mag.
Seriously though, go with what you have confidence in. Give the 7 mag one more try. Shoot off backpack, etc at 300 and 400 yards and see how it does.

Thanks for all the responses.

It’s not that I shoot the 7mag poorly. I shoot decent groups. I just have 100% confidence that I can make a good shot with the 6.5. I guess I’m just getting knit picky fumbling through my gear.

I probably need to worry more about finding an elk to shoot at.

Thanks for all the responses.

It’s not that I shoot the 7mag poorly. I shoot decent groups. I just have 100% confidence that I can make a good shot with the 6.5. I guess I’m just getting knit picky fumbling through my gear.

I probably need to worry more about finding an elk to shoot at.

100% confidence when your sucking air shooting downward 40 degrees, 281 yards, thru a 12” opening in the trees off from a makeshift pack/rock rest that isn’t really helping?

Or would you rather have something with a little more energy just Incase the bullet doesn’t hit the half dollar spot you practice from the bench?

100% confidence when your sucking air shooting downward 40 degrees, 281 yards, thru a 12” opening in the trees off from a makeshift pack/rock rest that isn’t really helping?

Or would you rather have something with a little more energy just Incase the bullet doesn’t hit the half dollar spot you practice from the bench?

That’s not off a bench, shoot at every angle and every condition when we shoot competition.

That’s not off a bench, shoot at every angle and every condition when we shoot competition.

It helps, but is not the same. I walked into my first year elk hunting as confident as could be in my skills and equipment. I was very quickly humbled, crap happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back