Gun Safe/Locker

beagle001

Hey folks,
I’ve slacked and slacked, but it’s high time I get a good gun safe. I’ve got a little one running around, and an expanding battery, so I need a little help as to what I’m lookin for, what I should look for and what to ignore. Right now I’ve got 7 long guns to put in, with plans to obviously add more.
So, does, say, a 16 gun safe actually hold 16 scoped long guns? Or are they stacked like cordwood?
I’d like to stay under $750, if that’s sensible.
Thanks!

Almost anything is better than nothing! $750.00 won’t get you a lot (quality) of safe. Even if it hurts....get the best you can possibly afford. One decent scoped rifle is likely more than $750.00. Get as high and long a fire rating that is reasonable. And, last but not least, just like when building a pole barn....figure out the size you need, and then double that! Ask me how I know about both topics! :unsure: memtb

Get something that’s rated to hold 2-3x the long guns you have now. I have two safes, one is a 24 gun and the other is a 60. I don’t have that many long guns but adding scopes, magazine fed, belt fed weapons, plus not wanting them stacked upon each other really takes up a lot of room.

Buy the best safe you can afford. Safes are cheap, guns are not.

I have one Liberty safe that is rated for 24 and I have 26 in it. Plus I have a Stack On cheapie that holds 10 with 11 plus 3 extra shotgun barrels in it!

Buy a safe with capacity for your expanding collection! Look at Tractor Supply. Right now they have a Canon 40 gun safe on sale for $599! Its $200 off right now. I'm tempted but have just dropped $$$ on a Remington Model 7 stainless with HS Precision stock and a Rem Model 700 SS single shot action for a possible F Class custom build plus a new Leupold for the Model 7.... I really want the 40 gun safe and then I can get rid of the Stack on and have enough room..... for a couple more years! :)

I remember the years leading up to finally purchasing a safe like it was yesterday. The real question you have to ask yourself is, What is the purpose of my safe? Is it to keep the kids out? Stop burglars from stealing my guns? Keeping items safe in case of a fire? There are many reasons for buying a safe, but depending on what's most important to you determines the quality of safe you end up buying. If it is just going to be a place to consolidate your guns and valuables and keep young children out, any safe from the local Academy or Walmart will work fine. If you're looking for a quality safe that can withstand a burglar attempt or fire you may want to increase your budget and look elsewhere.

Also, always buy much bigger than you think you need. 16 scoped guns would likely fit, but not how you are thinking. They would need to be turned, shifted and properly placed to get them all in there, and would require perfecting a technique for getting them out and back in when you are using them.

I've yet to see a safe that will hold the advertised number of guns under real life conditions. Yes they will be stacked together like cord wood, if they fit at all. You might be able to fit the advertised number, but it will NOT be easy to get them in and out. You'll probably have to store some muzzle down, others muzzle up.

I'd say that a 20-24 gun will probably suit your needs unless you are planning to expand your collection significantly. I have a 24 gun safe that holds 15 long guns comfortably.

I don't buy the hype regarding gun safes and fire ratings and such. If you really want to protect your guns from fire, theft, flood get some insurance. If you're really only worried about keeping kids off then I wouldn't concern myself with fire ratings or locking bolts.

I've yet to see a safe that will hold the advertised number of guns under real life conditions. Yes they will be stacked together like cord wood, if they fit at all. I'd say that a 20-24 gun will probably suit your needs unless you are planning to expand your collection significantly. I have a 24 gun safe that holds 15 long guns comfortably.

I don't buy the hype regarding gun safes and fire ratings and such. If you really want to protect your guns from fire, theft, flood get some insurance. If you're really only worried about keeping kids off then I wouldn't concern myself with fire ratings or locking bolts.
+1
CC.jpg

if your main concern is keeping children safe, most police departments hand out child locks for free. Then I would move them into a locked closet or some such. While not an end goal solution, it would buy you some time to get a better safe, and that is someplace where I would not skimp money on. A good safe will be able to be passed down to your grandkids

I have a cannon 28 gun scout. From what I remember it was around your price point. I have two scoped rifles, a 22 and 3 shotguns on one side, and shelves on the other. Things are getting pretty tight but if I organized it a little better I’m sure it hold more. I got mine because of my offspring and there were a couple break ins around our place. Moved to different states twice with it, isn’t that bad to move empty. The only thing I don’t like about it is the digital entry pad, it feels really cheap.

Buy bigger than you need. I have a 48 gun ( which it will never hold 48). I keep all my important papers and jewelry and ammo in the safe. its packed solid. I started with a 24, then a 36 and now a 48. Shoulda just bought the 48 to start with.

Do you have a Costco membership? Every couple of months they usually have a great deal on a couple of quality gun safes, usually with at least one around your price point. Check their website for the deals, then obviously go check them out in the store.

Buy once cry once. We bought a 52 gun that weigh's 830 lbs. It is good quality safe with a good fire rating and locking lugs on all sides of the door. It's big, but not big enough and the capacity rating is with rifles without scopes. First figure out what your projected gun owner ship plans are then get a bigger safe. Then figure out where your going to put it and how your going to move it. One tip the moving dolly's from harbor freight work real well. I used the 1000# size and ratchet straps to hold it in place.
Think it out ahead of time and have a plan of what you need and how your going to get it in the house or where ever your going to set it.

Dan

I have been in the fire investigation business for over 20 years. I have yet to see a safe stand up to a fire as advertised, most are actually a joke. If I was purchasing a safe, I would be more concerned with the size I needed and theft prevention (most are pretty good on this end), fire rating would be last. As far as size, count the guns you have and double. You wont need quite that much space but that will give you a little room to grow. hope that helps.

@CU93elkstalker
Have you found any gun safe that was able to stand up to a fire in a residential situation? Also, are there areas of a home where a fire may have less of an impact on the safe and it's contents, such as near a window, against an outside wall, or in the center of the building?

Definitely buy a safe much, much larger than you think you will need.
I would check the classifieds. In Utah we have KSL classifieds. I've seen some screaming deal go through there. I bought a Browning 24 gun safe on there a couple years ago for $150. I didn't really need it but couldn't pass it up.

@CU93elkstalker
Have you found any gun safe that was able to stand up to a fire in a residential situation? Also, are there areas of a home where a fire may have less of an impact on the safe and it's contents, such as near a window, against an outside wall, or in the center of the building?
most of the name brand stuff you see at cabelas and everywhere else are all basically the same. what you are paying for is the name on the outside and the extras that make it look cool; nice lock, drawers and crap on the inside that you will never use. The problem with most of the safes and being fireproof is the gasket in the door. The way the doors are designed the gaskets cannot withstand heat/smoke/water so your guns do not have a chance, some are even rubber, seriously. As far as brands, there are a few small companies that build custom cabs that will do the job, but you will pay the price. Personally, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for something that will likely never happen. You are FAR more likely to have a break in rather than a fire. As far as location, most fire origins are in the kitchen. I would position my safe away from the kitchen and toward the center of the house if possible. If you have a basement, that is ideal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back