Gun or Bow?

genesis273

I just want to see if this is feasable or not. I put in for a Wyoming Antelope hunt. If I draw, I am flying out so my supplies and luggage will be limited. Also, I have never hunted in any open land with a bow (ie, Wyoming). I have killed several whitetail from tree stands and have bow hunted since mid 80`s but I know that it will be different than what I`m use to plus giving the fact that I have never seen an antelope before and not real sure how they react to hunting pressure. I have always heard that whitetail are much harder to hunt.

I thought about having my buddy take a rifle and I bring my bow and if I see that antelope is not that hard I want to try to stick one with the bow. If I see that it is harder that I thought I could always shoot it with the rifle.

My question is, would I be wasting my time with a bow or should I stick with a rifle? Public land (no guide, and probably no blind). I know that if I get out there and I see that it isn`t that hard and I do not have my bow I will be sick...well, not sick because I will still enjoy it but I will regret not having it.
Thought I might add this, I am not real limited to the amount of time to hunt. I have a couple hundred hours vacation time to burn!;)

Last edited:
Hunting antelope on public land during rifle season is going to be tough..... real tough. Not impossible by any means, but once the lead starts flying they are a whole different critter. During the earlier archery season spot and stalk is way more feasible. Don't even think about a decoy once the rifle season start.... just isn't safe. I have heard of guys doing alright with archery equipment during rifle season with blinds, over water depending on weather, but that will be tough going into an area cold.

I always look for a reason to use my bow instead of myt rifle and have regretted leaving it at home more than once........ but I would be a dollar to a donut that you will end up using the rile.

Elkwhisper

I'm not an antelope archery expert, but a couple of things. I bought my bow with me last year while in wyoming as well as my rifle. Make sure you buy your archery permit when you get to Wy if you decide you may want to use your bow. For whatever reason the antelope are pretty spooky during the rifle opener so getting close to one with your bow will be a challenge unless you are set up at a water hole. And if you are looking for a buck of a certain size use your rifle because getting close with your bow will be difficult. I'm not sure of your unit in particular, but the archery season generally opens a month prior to rifle.

Spot and stalk success with archery equipment will depend largely on the area you hunt. I hunted pronghorn in three units in Wyoming last year. One unit would have been nearly impossible to be successful, as the goats acted like they'd been shot at for a month, even before the rifle season opened. The second unit would have been easier, although not a cakewalk. The third unit would have been a slam dunk. Bucks would stand and look at you from 30 yards away and then go back to eating, and that was a week into rifle season.:eek:

If you really have a lot of time, I'd suggest coming out with both, although I know it might cost you more in luggage fees. Hunt the last few days of archery season, and if unsuccessful, pick up the rifle on opening day.

I love bow hunting antelope, but I wouldn't try to do it during rifle season. I agree with the idea of hunting the end of archery and the beginning of rifle, so you can try both. All you'll need is a $30 archery stamp if you already have the antelope license.

In 2007 I didn't have time to go until the gun season started. We went the 2nd weekend the season was open. Didn't see anyone else hunting.

Not sure why I shot this scrub, but I only did one stalk. We were done.
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=235164

In 2008 we were in Wyoming for the opener. Not going to say it wasn't a zoo. Couple of jackasses on a sage roving ATV did jump off and point their guns at the herd of lope I was sitting 70 yards from. I don't think they ever saw me as I went running for the nearest gully. Ended up again shooting the smallest possible Lope in the unit in one day.

P1000290.jpg

This year went 2 times during archery and had a great time. Didn't kill but had plenty of opportunity. Went back the 2nd weekend of gun season. Although it was a Friday we saw maybe one other group of hunters.

Warning: if you get your butt shot using a deke during gun season I will not loose any sleep over it. Use your head, be smart.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=241140

The third unit would have been a slam dunk. Bucks would stand and look at you from 30 yards away and then go back to eating, and that was a week into rifle season.:eek:

I'm guessing that 3rd unit was the red desert? When bowhunting out there it helps to have a hardhat on, FRP's and cope in your mouth.....

...you mean FRC's? ;)

Only if your from Texas....And then you have the hardhat that looks like a cowboy hat.

A few years ago I had the red desert tag and stalked the biggest buck antelope I've ever seen in person. And it was the only spooky one in the whole damn unit. Ended up 50 yards from it but couldn't make it happen. Bad part was I had a couple spectators watching (one from this board) to help rub it in.

It ruined my season. I couldn't find the buck again. Went out there the last day and shot a 6" w/ the rifle. Most likely the smallest buck to ever come from there :D

What dinkshoooter said, very doable with a bow. And you can have a great bowhunt during rifle. If I draw I may skip the bow season altogether and bowhunt a couple weeks into rifle season.

Now I am just sayin'...but it is true that Dinkshooter finally shot a big lope when I was there 'supervising' in 2009.;)

Heck I managed to arrow 2 lopes in two states the first year I hunted them--so it can be done by most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back