Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Gun lube/cleaners and you scent fanatics.....

LongCut

I pay attention to the wind and do what I can to control my own scent, but not to the extreme that some do. But I have to imagine my guns stink!! Heck we used to check zero, then scrub them out with hoppes and oil them a day or two before the firearms opener.

I havent done that in years, and have joined the don't clean it unless degrading accuracy tells you to club. But I was working on an old model 70 I was given the other day. I tore it down and gots a couple decades worth of grime out of it, cleaned it up nice, then put a light coat of oil on some of it. Couldn't help but think how bad it must smell to the critters.

Do any of you add anything to your scent control routine in regards to your firearms??

If we're talking gun season, I pay more attention to my movement and noise. Bow season is where I will be strict about scent.

I pay attention to the wind and do what I can to control my own scent, but not to the extreme that some do. But I have to imagine my guns stink!! Heck we used to check zero, then scrub them out with hoppes and oil them a day or two before the firearms opener.

I havent done that in years, and have joined the don't clean it unless degrading accuracy tells you to club. But I was working on an old model 70 I was given the other day. I tore it down and gots a couple decades worth of grime out of it, cleaned it up nice, then put a light coat of oil on some of it. Couldn't help but think how bad it must smell to the critters.

Do any of you add anything to your scent control routine in regards to your firearms??

If you hunt from a stand [tree or ground] take a piece of metal and do the same to it and then hang it close by 2 or 3 weeks before the season starts so that the critters get used to the odor being there.

Lots of valid points. Chili, cabbage, trucks........

I do play the wind, and agree that it is likely a tad more critical during archery, considering you are trying to get even closer. Just wondering if anyone goes out of their way to limit gun stink.

I try to do my best within reason to control my scent, but don’t go too crazy about it. Most of the scent of gun oil will dissipate over time, at least to an extent.

If a deer gets downwind of your then you are toast anyway

Lots of valid points. Chili, cabbage, trucks........

I do play the wind, and agree that it is likely a tad more critical during archery, considering you are trying to get even closer. Just wondering if anyone goes out of their way to limit gun stink.

I really don't worry too much about scent from my rifle. I shoot some rounds through it at the beginning of the season and hunt with a dirty rifle anyway. I would think that the spent gun powder would put off a scent as well. Some scents don't really seem to bother the animals that much. I do pay close attention to the wind though.

Back