Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gun Grease or Oil

Fit_Sasquatch

I’m running into the problem of my 870 seizing up after a days use. It looks like the oil is wearing off when I slide it back to chamber a round. I’m using Rem oil and I think the high heat is the factor.
Any recommendations? Grease or high temp oil?

thanks for the help!

Last edited:
There's gotta be something else going on. You should be able to run hundreds of rounds through that gun without it seizing. Check the forend nut and make sure it's tight. Its the one that holds the action bar assembly to the forend, NOT the barrel retaining nut.

I use radco clp my self I was an infantryman in the army and we used it on all of our weapons platforms including machine guns which develop a lot of heat

There's gotta be something else going on. You should be able to run hundreds of rounds through that gun without it seizing. Check the forend nut and make sure it's tight. Its the one that holds the action bar assembly to the forend, NOT the barrel retaining nut.
I do agree with this though i have a few 870’s and run them with minimal lube on them with no issues

Thank you! I’ll check that today while I clean it

I agree it sounds like more than a lubricant issue, but (2) that i'm very fond of are Ballistol, and Frog Lube. I use Ballistol on everything as it is a CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant). It;s very mild and the more you use it the better functionality I have found from it. For shot guns specifically I like to Use Frog Lube.

You could use 30W motor oil and that gun should cycle just fine. It’s easy to overthink lubricants.

I had an 870 in 16 gauge and it used to have trouble cycling certain brands of factory shells after several rounds. It might be an ammo problem.

I had an 870 in 16 gauge and it used to have trouble cycling certain brands of factory shells after several rounds. It might be an ammo problem.

I think that some brands might have a slightly smaller rim diameter. I recall having some shells not stay in my 20 ga Ithaca 37.

870’s will function great with most US made factory ammo, I have noticed none of my large fleet of 870’s like any foreign shells (for example Fiocchi). Even to reload most Of those I have to some major resizing, they then cycle well.

I have run thousands and thousands of rounds through most of mine with few if any hangups.

Guns generally run better when completely dry than when lubed with anything. I'm NOT saying not to oil your firearms, but your 870 problems probably have nothing to do with lubrication.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back