Gun for son

He won't be hunting elk til he's 12. But I'm not going to keep him from doing this if that's what he wants. I'm trying to push him towards a 7mm08 but he's pretty set on an 06. I think a 7mm08 with a brake would be comparable to a 223 in recoil
Anyone know of a youth hunter killing an elk with 300 blackout?

Get the kid what he wants. I started with a 30-06 at 11 or 12, 760 pump with steel butt plate. Never felt a single recoil while in the field hunting. If hes recoil shy get a lead sled or reduced loads. Got my nephew a ruger youth gun years ago in 7mm08. He was a small kid at 12 so needed the smaller stock. Its perfect for his girlfriend now. He took antelope, whitetail, and mule deer with it before he grew out of it, excellent round.

Sorry for the confusion;)

Sorry for the confusion;)
You're forgiven as I was also wrong. A man bun is a hair style for an adult male, in this case a son bun would probably be more politically correct. So pawhitetail, stick with the .30-06. CVA Cascade has an adjustable stock and a threaded barrel, I don't know if it is chambered in .30-06 though.

We went with the savage lady Hunter model in 30.06 for my son. Let him take a look at one. It's a sweet rifle for those smaller in stature. Let him check one out and see what he thinks

Why don't you find someone with a 30-06 and let him try shooting one, at 8 rs old he doesn't have a clue what he wants! Have a 13 yr old here in town that was shooting his grandpa' 30-30 and he though he liked it. So next he shot my 6.5x55 and liked it even better. Then he tried my 243 and that's what he always goes for it now! An 8 yrs old with a 30-06 is insane to me but, I'd let my 9 yr old grand son shoot my 30-06. Load is 180gr cast bullet with 13.0 grs Red Dot and TP over powder wad. Recoil's about like a 22 RF, maybe not quite that much. 8 yr old kid will often think he knows just what he want's till he tries it. Get that kid out and let him try different cartridges!

If you reload I’d get him the 30-06 and download it for him.
Agreed! I'd not be afraid to use the 130gr TTSX. Also, be aware that powder weight has a significant role in recoil. A slightly faster powder won't give up all that much speed and will recoil less.

I would have some concern with my youngest and a brake. He seems more bothered by blast/noise than he does the physical recoil. Just something to consider...

Agreed! I'd not be afraid to use the 130gr TTSX. Also, be aware that powder weight has a significant role in recoil. A slightly faster powder won't give up all that much speed and will recoil less.

I would have some concern with my youngest and a brake. He seems more bothered by blast/noise than he does the physical recoil. Just something to consider...
130 grain Barnes or hammer and some varget would make a very mild 30-06 that would kill anything

I wouldn't put a break on personally. Just too damaging and certainly flinch inducing with the noise if nothing else. If he starts out with a break make sure he wears soft plugs underneath and good quality ear-muffs over the top.

30-06 is a great cartridge and a 150 gr. Partition or 150 gr. Accubond either one would work great should you decide to load them down for him starting out. They would still recoil less than 165 or 180 gr. bullets loaded full power than 150 gr. bullets loaded to full power, and they will not let you down. Great way to go until he gets a bit older and can handle a bit more.

A 125 gr. Accubond would also work very well until he gets a bit older. He could probably even tolerate them loaded full power loads.

David

stock and LOP will be the most important in the early years.

I'd introduce him to shot gun shooting on clay pigeons to determine his recoil tolerance..

Why don't you find someone with a 30-06 and let him try shooting one, at 8 rs old he doesn't have a clue what he wants! Have a 13 yr old here in town that was shooting his grandpa' 30-30 and he though he liked it. So next he shot my 6.5x55 and liked it even better. Then he tried my 243 and that's what he always goes for it now! An 8 yrs old with a 30-06 is insane to me but, I'd let my 9 yr old grand son shoot my 30-06. Load is 180gr cast bullet with 13.0 grs Red Dot and TP over powder wad. Recoil's about like a 22 RF, maybe not quite that much. 8 yr old kid will often think he knows just what he want's till he tries it. Get that kid out and let him try different cartridges!
Hell im 38 and still cant decide what i want from one week to the next.

Back