Caribou Gear

Gun Cleaning while Backpacking

bgreen89

Does anyone have any recommendations for gun cleaning while in the backcountry. Are there any kits available? Or, does anyone have stuff they pack with them?

Thanks

I pack a length of weedeater string that has a knot on one end and a foam ear plug that it threads through. I can use this as a bore snake to clean my bore with a tin of prelubed patches. The string also fits in the tin (breath mints or Altoids or similar). All of which can fit in my shirt pocket if I wish. Oiled patches make good emergency fire starters as well.

Rem oil wipes, optics cloth, a couple of q-tips, a somewhat clean t-shirt or sock and a boresnake are all you really need.

Tape your barrel and worst case scenario, take a bit of paracord and tie a knot in it and it’ll remove any debris from your barrel. I’ve done it. Before I found the electrical tape tip from guys on here, I did this paracord cleaning after busting through thick brush and timber to find some gunk in the barrel. I ran the knot through it and that afternoon shot an elk at 425 yards. Not so sure that would have gone the same had I not got some of the funk out before hand.

Hunting Southeast Alaska. So obviously there is a lot of rain and saltwater around. Thank you for all the tips.
Do you use a slip on rifle cover? For really rainy conditions they work pretty good.
I usually only pack a single use packet of gun grease that’s in my optics cleaning kit.Just in case scenario mostly.

If you've got a hollow synthetic stock, you can remove the buttplate and stick an M16-type cleaning kit with a small bottle of CLP in there for emergencies. I tape my muzzle and sometimes use a gun cover, but a couple of times that kit came in real handy, like the time it rained for 3 days and nights on us during a back-country wilderness trip. I cleaned and oiled the rifles while my buddy started work on the ark.

I pack a length of weedeater string that has a knot on one end and a foam ear plug that it threads through. I can use this as a bore snake to clean my bore with a tin of prelubed patches. The string also fits in the tin (breath mints or Altoids or similar). All of which can fit in my shirt pocket if I wish. Oiled patches make good emergency fire starters as well.

This sounds like the thread winner to me...I will be putting one of these together. The weedeater string is pure genius...IMO.

This sounds like the thread winner to me...I will be putting one of these together. The weedeater string is pure genius...IMO.

Well, just so you know, I did not invent it. I ripped it off and modified it like everything else I know. A few things for you guys who insist on shooting those damn hummingbird and mouse calibers, if you tie a knot in the end of weed eater line, it won't go down your boar. So melt it with a Bic lighter. Only a Bic will work :). That will make a nice blob on the end, but your patches may slide over it anyway. To combat that, go to the hardware store and buy a solid brass or possibly aluminum tiny washer that will just fit over your line and slide down and stop on the bump. Do not fall for a brass plated steel washer that could damage your bore.

You can whittle a sharp end on the line to pierce your patches or you can pre-pierce them at home, or whatever. But the sharp point is often nice.

Finally, you may find that a really heavy monofilament leader material will do better for your mouse guns, but it may also cut into your hands and will not push out snow and mud like the weedeater line will.

Attachments

• 20200305_195035.jpg
    20200305_195035.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 16
That is a great idea, thank you for sharing!

I carry a bore snake in a small container and a small amount of Hoppe's #9 with me, plus a few Rem wipe out's in individual packages.

I have never felt the need to carry any sort of gun cleaning kit while backpacking. Tape the muzzle and keep a few extra wraps of tape around the barrel.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back