Guides for elk hunting unit 78 and or 81 Colorado

deerifle3990

Recently relocated ( part time) to Chama NM
and am looking for someone
willing to guide for fee
myself and friend elk hunting unit 81 or
78 next fall . Plan to get either archery
or 2 nd rifle OTC tags. Sort of semi DIY hunt
as opposed to full blown outfitter guided hunts .
we know nothing about these units and have
never done a DIY hunt for elk though I
got an elk in northern Co on an outfitter
(Expensive) guided rifle hunt

Ok thanks ; I didn’t realize that ; so I will need to
confirm they are permitted if they guide us. Main concern we have
is getting lost in those vast wilderness areas; very different
from hunting out of deer stands over feeders on ranches
here in Texas.

Good luck on your search. Gohunt and a phone call to the USFS office can help you hone in on your search. I will say though you might enjoy a DIY hunt. A GPS with a onxmap chip can help you keep your way. Either way enjoy the country.

Hunted 78 for many years. If you are comfortable using your GPS or onx, I don't believe you would need a guide. Plenty of accessable country not to far from trails. Elk numbers have been declining in those units though, so a semi guided hunt that would get you off on the right foot may be worth it.

Dont let getting lost bother you i hiked in last year alone and with a gps with onx chip you can find your way.. just throw your pack on and go its worth it.

Bringing a GPS is a must, also bring a good map and compass, dont rely on electronics alone. Do you have NM residency? There is good elk hunting all over the northern part of NM around Chama that would be a lot cheaper than non-res CO elk tag.

I am from Tx and hunted 78 solo last year. I had my phone in my bino harness last year and slipped down a mountain and my phone came out, never found my phone again. All I had was a compass and ended up walking around for 3 hours trying to find a road, so a backup device is essential. It was my first time hunting in Colorado and didn't need a guide. It was definitely an eye opening experience but did tons of research. I plan on hunting 81 OTC archery this year.

I've hunted 81 the last 3 years. Seen elk every time, but I would echo what the others have written a GPS unit will definitely ease your mind when hiking around in there. I didn't get any cell phone service and got turned around on two separate occasions hiking out. Bought the garmin 64st and haven't had a problem since. Good Luck.

Give Bart Crawford with Conejos Canyon Outfitters a call, been going into unit 81 with him for 3 years, he really knows the area. www.huntcco.com

I live just North of GMU 81, and like to recreate down there on horseback. One thing I think hunters that show up during hunting season may not realize, is the backcountry traffic that can take place in some of those areas during the Summer. Just because you're in the South San Juan Wilderness doesn't mean it's not visited by hikers and fishermen in the Summer. In fact, some of that area can see lots of users camping, hiking, and fishing. I've run into couples in their 80's that hiked in to fish a good 5 miles from the trailhead! If I can be of help, send me a message.

In archery the elk are usually high which can easily mean 10,000+ elevation in these two units.

Recently relocated ( part time) to Chama NM
and am looking for someone
willing to guide for fee
myself and friend elk hunting unit 81 or
78 next fall . Plan to get either archery
or 2 nd rifle OTC tags. Sort of semi DIY hunt
as opposed to full blown outfitter guided hunts .
we know nothing about these units and have
never done a DIY hunt for elk though I
got an elk in northern Co on an outfitter
(Expensive) guided rifle hunt
If you private message me, I could offer some advice on who I might advise to avoid in the areas you're mentioning.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back