Guide and Packing School

JonHimself

Hey all!

I am new to the forums and I hope the fireside is the place to post this question. If not, sorry to the moderators!

Over the last few years hunting and fishing have become huge passions of mine. Not long after living the life, the idea of guide school began popping up in my head over and over again. I've done some research and found two schools that have very positive reputations. Those are the Elm endorsed schools and the school called Royal Tine (I am willing to travel where ever for the right school, but I have a particular interest in the schools in the Idaho, Wyoming, Montana areas).

I'm curious of y'alls opinion on these schools and if there is a course I may be over looking. I appreciate the help to come and hope this season goes well for all of y'all!

Best to you all,

JBR

Last edited:
Bearpaw Outfitters outside of Livingston has a guide and packer school. He is one of the ELM endorsed Outfitters. Tim is a great guy that has years of experience.

JonHimself here is the question I would be asking. If you attend this school where will you work? If you have a few outfitting businesses in mind call and ask them if attending this school will help you gain employment. They may have recommendations in mind for schools, or possibly better ways to get into the business. I would call and bug a good amount of outfitters and pick their brain before I paid money to attend this school.

JonHimself here is the question I would be asking. If you attend this school where will you work? If you have a few outfitting businesses in mind call and ask them if attending this school will help you gain employment. They may have recommendations in mind for schools, or possibly better ways to get into the business. I would call and bug a good amount of outfitters and pick their brain before I paid money to attend this school.

This is a great piece of advice! I will start on the calls tomorrow. Thank you Bagel_7

Anyone else that has advice would be much appreciated as well!

Good advice above. I looked hard at going to Royal Tine before I ended up buying my family farm here in Missouri. I dont think the cost is bad for the amount of days and experience you get. I should have taken the class during the summer while in college. The knowledge, experience, and confidence would sure help me on my yearly diy hunts

I guided for a number of years, and I never attended a guide school. They are probably fine, but I think you could do as well finding an outfitter and volunteering to work for a few weeks, there is every chance you will wind up getting paid in the end anyway. One thing that is always in demand is trophy care. If you don't know already, learn to cape and flesh, and then volunteer to take care of heads and hides and meat. It is work that often has to be done and extra help is always appreciated because guides are needed to go out hunting in the morning.
I absolutely encourage you to try and work in the industry because it is fun, rewarding, and difficult. The quality of the outfitter makes all the difference, spend some time at sportsmans shows or wherever else you can next winter talking and making connections. Then be somewhat selective based on what they offer you; the less money you can afford to receive the more they can afford to invest in you. Keep whatever commitments you make and it will be an interesting, if not lucrative, experience. Good luck!

If you hire on to an outfitter without going to guide school, try to do it well before season opens. Hunting season is not the time to learn the basics. I went the guide school route and that really helped me get on with a good outfitter because I had a bunch of choices and could afford to be choosy. It sounds like you're willing to do some research before-hand so you're ahead of the game. If you're willing to learn as much as possible, work hard, and show up every day (not most, but every) with a positive attitude, you'll be successful. Good luck.

Thank you to every one of you for your advice and the pm's!
All of you were supportive and gave me good ideas and leads to follow. I feel more confident now than when I posted and that's all I can ask for.

I will start contacting outfitters and making my way into the industry.

Thanks again and any other advice will be much appreciated! I hope anyone else considering guide school looks in this thread for some pointers.

JBR

I attended Royal Tine Guide School last summer. It is a jam-packed month of learning the basics of what is needed to work for an outfitter and nothing that you don't need. Cody Hensen learned from and worked for Smoke Elser in the 90s. Google the name if you don't know who he is. You will learn horsemanship, farrier work, packing with Decker packsaddles, land navigation, first aid, hunting skills, meat care. skinning and caping, etc, etc. It's hard work and long hours; however, it will give you a realistic idea of what to expect when you hire on with an outfitter. Outfitters will call the school on a regular basis and let Cody know that they are looking for guides to hire. Oh, and don't go there with the idea that you will be losing weight at school. Leree Hensen runs the camp cook school and she is an awesome camp cook. If you leave the table hungry, it’s your own damn fault! Royal Tine can be reached at 406 370-6737. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Yeah, man, go get em! No advice here, but it seems like you're a decent fellow and I am glad to see a person with a bit of humility try to become a guide/outfitter. I'm sure there are a few of them out there, but it sure seems like another hard working and humble guide can't hurt. Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back