Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Grouse

AlaskaHunter

Alaska is the only state that does not have wild turkeys...moose calling in the fall is my substitute...I do miss spring gobbler season.

But we have 4 species of grouse (sooty grouse in southeast, ruffed, spruce, sharptails in interior AK)
My favorite to hunt is sharptails, my favorite to eat is ruffed grouse.
The hunting season is still open in AK until the end of March, but I stop hunting in the fall after snow flies.

This ruffed grouse was eating aspen buds in our backyard:
bakyard_grouse.JPG

Planned on going after some in August but may not even go up this year.

When I lived in Fairbanks I didn’t have to drive very far for some pretty good grouse and ptarmigan hunting.

Every time I see a grouse.

giphy.gif

I recommend joining Ruffed Grouse Society to entertain and support your obsession with these great birds!

When I lived in Fairbanks I didn’t have to drive very far for some pretty good grouse and ptarmigan hunting.

Some of my best bird hunting memories are grouse hunting out west.
Steep avalanche chutes where the grouse concentrated on mountain ash berries in the Wasatch Mountains in Utah.

Hawthorne berry patches adjacent to Doug-Fir north slopes while hunting chuckars in the Salmon River canyons of Idaho.

Opening day at high elevations near Darby, MT.

In interior AK, all the wildfires there has been a boom in the population of sharptails the past couple decades.

It does feel strange that the AK bird season is open through March...

One of my favorite things about our cabin up in Northern MN was the ruffed grouse. But whether it is wolves, west niles, aging woods or climate the numbers have just not bounced back from the bottom of the last cycle. Super bummer - a very fun hunt and one of my favorite to eat.

I shot a couple of sharptails in AK last Feb, along with a couple ptarmigan. Interesting hunting for sure.

Here's a couple of Ruffed Grouse my son shot last time we were hunting in the Ruby's 2 years ago. They were very tasty!

DSCN0887.JPG

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back