Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ground squirrels (graphic photos)

A-con

Old hunting buddy and me took the .17s out to try and reduce the ground squirrel population in farm country.
Had some luck and learned a few things.

#1 Next time, remember the bi-pod.
I probably missed a dozen off hand at 100+ Yds.

#2 .17 do a lot more damage than a .22

#3 CZ puts their safety’s on backwards.

All told we had 15 confirmed kills, and another half dozen "maybes".

With a sitting bi-pod, I could have had another dozen.

Sounds like loads of fun, Dan! I went to AZ prairie dog shooting a few weeks ago and had loads of fun. I plan to go again at the end of May. I sure miss the access I had to a ranch near Parkfield for many years!

Rick

Get yourself a cheap camera tripod, cut a V notch in a 2x4 about 8" long. The local hardware store will have nut to fit the tripod adaptor. Bingo! You're ready to shoot like a benchrester.

Your kill rate will go way up as you sit in a lawn chair.

I just got back from Klamath Falls last week and I killed a couple hundred sage rats and 16 rockchucks. Love the 17 HMR!

17 is becoming less popular in the UK, there are increasing reports of faulty ammunition and exploding guns.
I have used a couple of 17's and loved them, great fun, but the ammo issue is worrying.
What happens is a round fires but goes 'putt' instead of the usual 'crack', the round travels half way up the barrel and stops, the inexperienced shooter then chambers another round,fires, and the gun blows up!
There have been several issues of this in the UK, so i will stick with my .22
Has the same happened in the US?

Cheers
Richard

Back