Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ground shooting grouse

Muleyhunter78

Just listening to the latest podcast and can't help myself. I always shoot grouse on the ground, on the stump, in the tree. All the way. Take em when you can!

I agree. They are too tasty to pass up and the cover is too thick to give them any more of a chance to get away.

Heck yes. I like to eat grouse and there are plenty of 'em. I no longer shoot 'em out the truck window, as I was raised.

Yes. I doubt I could hit them in the air with my bow and they are nowhere to be found when I'm carrying a gun. Yum.

Well, this is comforting to hear. I wanted to do a "ground pounding" episode one time and "the powers to be" told me it would be unethical, offensive, and such would be in bad taste.

I see a YouTube episode in the making. Hopefully you guys will come to my defense when we do it. And we will all get together for free beer and ground slooshed grouse.

This Alaska spruce grouse was ground swatted as we floated by.
DSCN0161.jpg

I wanted to do a "ground pounding" episode one time and "the powers to be" told me it would be unethical, offensive, and such would be in bad taste.

And yet it's ok for other shows to do a high fence hunt shooting 300" whitetails pumped full of steroids over a pile of corn? What an F'in joke. I guess what's acceptable is what people like to see though and people love themselves some big whitetails.

I always thought that was how you shot grouse..... we woulda starved in college if it wasn't for the after class grouse hunts. And not many of them were in the air...

Is there another way to shoot grouse? I'm never carrying a shotgun when I come across them, and arrows are too expensive for flying shots with my compound bow...

Probably would be a great episode to do with Rinella since you owe him a wolf! He talks about grouse all the time in his podcast!

Heck yes. I like to eat grouse and there are plenty of 'em. I no longer shoot 'em out the truck window, as I was raised.

I wonder if we were raised by the same father.

I take them with a rifle (or miss them with a bow). A head shot with an '06 is fair chase enough. If I have a shotgun I sometimes wait until they fly, depending on how bad I want one. Hunting with a dog gives you a far bigger advantage than having to spot one before it blows out.

The high-fence analogy misses the mark since we aren't trying to boost our ego with a trophy. I eat low-fence chickens and don't feel bad about it at all.

This fall my brother and I tried to only shoot Blues on the wing on a couple hunts. Very hard, and in timber near impossible. And if you do pull it off you are likely pulling shot out of the meat.

Those Spruce Grouse are some of the prettiest birds out there IMO, and I'd love to see a grouse-centric Fresh Tracks.

Attachments

• Spruce.jpg
    Spruce.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 742
Well, this is comforting to hear. I wanted to do a "ground pounding" episode one time and "the powers to be" told me it would be unethical, offensive, and such would be in bad taste.

I see a YouTube episode in the making. Hopefully you guys will come to my defense when we do it. And we will all get together for free beer and ground slooshed grouse.
View attachment 65556

Hell yes. What a great episode that would be.

Never let them fly. I shoot them on the ground if i have the chance.

I've seen my father in law shoot them on the ground in front of the dog that's on point. The object is to convert them to possession I guess.

I try to never let them become airborne because if they do, there is only a remote chance they are coming home for supper. I try to envision them with antlers and four legs which makes "sluicing them" all the easier!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back