Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

ground blind

Jigmaker

I am picking up a bow sat 7/13 I need some advice on a good ground blind with out breaking the bank have in mind $150.00 or less.

Thanks

groundblinds

I use groundblinds for whitetails in Iowa more each year. I've tried several brands. I have found that if you are going to be moving it a lot, then it's best to buy a better one. But, if you are like me and going to put it somewhere for most of the season and brush it in really well, then the brand and price tag matters less. I tried to skimp too much and got the Ameristep Outhouse, I was greatly disapointed with that one. The wind blows the sides in. I would recommend one that has a hub and fiberglass poles on all 4 sides and the roof. I then tie the blind down VERY WELL and TIGHT with all of the ropes provided and also with additional ropes and stakes anywhere I can. I then brush it in with a lot of material/vegetation from the immediate area. I also like to put brush on the roof and let it hang out all directions, softening the edges so it doesn't look like a box. If you get a heavy rain or snow, the roof will cave in sometimes, especially if you have brush on top of it. To prevent this from happening I now keep a board or pole of some kind in each blind to prop the roof up from the ground to the center of the roof hub. I put this pole / board in any time that I am not hunting from it. Also, don't leave anything inside of it that you don't want the mice to chew up! I have never tried shooting broadheads thru the mesh screens, I just don't trust it, and I like being able to see better. I cover up the hole in the center of the wall and shoot out the corner windows. That makes for better quartering away shots and lessens the chance of them seeing you draw. I love hunting from these groundblinds. Having deer at eye level and 10' away is quite a rush! My best set up is to put my blind in standing corn, 3 rows in from the edge. I clear some shooting lanes, but not too much, and I use extra zip ties and wire to completely cover all 4 sides of the blind with corn stalks from farther back in the field. Enough babbling, obviously I get excited about this style of hunting and have had great success doing it. Good luck on your first year of bowhunting!

Back