MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Grizzly Experience - Wy Elk Hunt

I have definitely had more grizzly sightings than elk this season. It sure is a good feeling to be able to walk away after an encounter, I had one very similar to yours last year.

great story. can't imagine what the feeling would be in that situation. glad it turned out alright for you!

Man, great story. Glad it turned out good for you and the bear. I hunt a lot in griz country and have yet to have an encounter. It's not a matter of if but when. I always have bear spray on my belt, regardless of where I hunt. Hopefully when said encounter comes to pass I can be as cool as you were. Should probably also pack some spare underwear too....

What an incredible story that was. I couldn't imagine what I would do in that scenario. Shows what mentally preparing and also having the necessary tools will do to build that confidence and action when the time comes. So, after that encounter, did you head to the truck or continue chasing elk? I think I would have called it a day after that...

I really do contribute any "coolness" I might have had to thinking a lot about different scenarios before hand, and considering how I would handle them. After that, I "hunted" my way back to the truck ;)

Last edited:
I've never bowhunted in Grizzly country, I will at some point. Great read, but dang that stay will continue to remind me that I need to be mentally prepared for when I do make the venture

I hope my experience will help others. I think it's good to visualize these things before they happen.

When you write: "Finally, the grizzly disappeared, and I unleashed the emotions I had kept under control up until then" , you really mean you crapped your drawers, right?

That is a cool story but I'll bet it is a high pucker factor moment. So far, I've been too much of a pansy to go hunt places that have big bears.

LOL! If so, I won't admit it, but I did unleash a hail of very choice words.

Glad you're ok! Can you give a somewhat detailed location of where you were? Were you near the park? I'm rifle hunting Wyoming in a month Southwest of Jackson about 50 miles. People say Grizzlies aren't where we hunt, but I don't believe them.

I rode on horseback in early November NE of Cody and the sign at the trailhead said "Be Bear Aware April to October." Bears do not read. Sow grizzly was near trail in first mile of riding. She was rolling over logs like a cat playing with a twig. Barely looked up at us and over a dozen mule deer does were casually feeding within 200 yards of the bear.

Back