Yeti GOBOX Collection

GRIZZ Hunt - Spring 2004

mtnboy

Well, after numerous requests, I finally decided to accompany my friend who had a grizzly tag. He is as hardcore as they get and had already made two trips out and spend 8 days in the alder jungles that the big bears call home. His first trip included a 22 km round trip snowshoe/ski into the heart of the valley, where he had seen three grizz. but not the one he was looking for. I was prepared for hell...

After many hours in the truck with quad and trailer in tow, we were welcomed to the territory by razor sharp, snow capped peaks (these mountains could make Moosie CRY!
) It was about 4pm and we headed right into a drainage that was shrouded by the steep walls of some serious mountains. A white gauntlet of glacial runoff roared down the bottom, it's banks choked with 10' alders. My boys turned to raisins just at the thought of crossing it... :eek:

The mountaintop glaciers carved huge swaths in the steep forests as their avalanches sent masses of snow to the valley below. They chutes were still packed with snow in their upper reaches, but the bottoms were green with lush salad bars that we would get to know intimately.... glassing....... glassing..... glassing...

jay-glass.jpg

jay-glass-1.jpg

Very nice looking country. Too bad there aren't some roads for easier access. ;) Maybe we could do some drilling up there as well so we won't have to depend on foreign oil. Sorry, just another day at the office.

Thanks for the pics, absolutely awesome country. How did the hunt go? I don't see a dead bear, but I guess the bears didn't get you either since you posted. :D

Thanks guys - it was AMAZING country! We laughed a lot and saw a ton of game - 10 moose, 7 goats, countless deer, 17 black bears and 1 B&C Porqupine! The biggest black bear was almost big enough to consider crossing that shink-drinkin' river :eek:

We worked our tails off, covered a ton of country and I learned some secret hunting methods from a hard core hunter... :D
Bait or repellent???
fight.gif

jay-dump.jpg

[ 05-25-2004, 23:11: Message edited by: mtnboy ]

Tell us more about the hunt! Looks like someone had to clean their drawers out! Or was it just a friendly nature call? Inquiring minds "need" to know....
Man, what a bear! Congrats!

Great looking country and beautiful pics.I guess your partner is cleaning up after shooting that big boy Huh? ;) :D Thanks for the pics and let's hear the story behind it.

Nice bear, you may want to be careful about posting nekkid pics of boy's on here, it will "ruin all hunting as we know it" LMAO!!!!
Thanks for the pics!!!

Yeah, he was a brute! That first pic was my buddy cleaning his shorts after he unloaded five .338mag rounds into him from where we slept the night before. ;)

The first hit him broadside, 6" behind the shoulder and he went ballistic lookin' tearing up whatever he could find... If he knew where we were he would have been comin' hard... :eek: We got it all on video - it's amazing! He shot him from our camp, 326 yards (ranged) across the river to the "Camp Slide" and nailed him every time and he kept raging to the last one. Now we know why that blackie was so nervous... I definitely felt under gunned with my '06 after watching that!

He squared under 8 feet, which ain't bad for an interior grizz. (with no sushi around).
His skull will be around 23".

It was an awesome trip up there! Hopefully now I can get some work done before the horney season starts... :D

grizz-claw.jpg

MERCY, all those things look huge to me. I would have been cleaning my drawers too. Sounds like a great experiance. Tell your bud congrats.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back