Grilled Backstrap

bdidaho

Dana made me hungry with his pan seared steaks but I didn't have the cream on hand and didn't want to go to the store. So I used a pork tenderloin recipe from Alton Brown and used venison back strap instead. When I cut my deer I leave the back straps in roast size pieces, then I can grill them whole or cut them into finger steaks, butterfly steaks for that, etc. Since the deer I shoot are only about a third the size of "Little O" s or some of the monsters most of you shoot, the back straps are only about the size of pork tenderloins anyway.
First, mix together,1/2 cup fresh lime juice(Yes, fresh squeezed), 1/4 cup honey , 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt and 1/2 tsp garlic powder. Marinade the back strap for at least 6 hours(overnight works good too)in the fridge in 1/2 the marinade and save the other half for later. Tie the meat every couple of inches to make the meat cook evenly. Make a foil pouch to hold the roast when it is done. Grill over direct heat, either hot coals or propane for 12 minutes, turning and basting every 2 minutes. Using a instant thermometer, check temp to see if it is done the way you like it(it will continue to cook while it rests so don't overcook it). Mine are usually done by this time but if you have a larger roast or like your meat medium to well, cook with indirect heat until done so you don't incinerate the outside. So if you use propane, turn off one burner and put the roast over the off burner and keep the other burners on. If you use coals, make sure there is a spot with no coals when you start so you can move it there. When the meat is done, put it in the foil pouch with the other half of the marinade you saved and seal up the pouch and let it rest for 10 minutes. Remove the ties and slice on the bias, pouring the remaining juices from the pouch over the meat.
Sorry the presentation sucks but this was ad lib. Next time I'll make it worthy of Hunt Talk.
Bon Appetit, BD

Attachments

• 111 001.jpg
    111 001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 579
  • 111 002.jpg
    111 002.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 573
You had to post that just as I'm making spaghetti:( Yours looks a little more appetizing. Thanks looks great

Oh man... My frozen Marie Callenders steamer tray looks like Top Ramen now...

Drool!

Very nice! B-Fin, think you have another market to consider.. the Hunt Talkers Cookbook. :)

Don't apologize for presentation...that looks awesome. Made my stomach growl. I will definitely try that recipe soon, if the temperature would just get into the 40s. Thanks for posting

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I may have a c;oup;e straps left, they go fast here... I'll be trying that one. We have a cabinet full of spices, marinades too. The family likes the one we make up ourselves. a little of this,a dash of that, and a bit of what's this let's try it. and of course the secret indegerident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back